Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Flea Market Style

Hello Ladies!
How was your weekend?  It sure was nice to get an extra hour of sleep, don't you think?
Do you love flea market style?  I do!  I really love the idea of repurposing items that might get over looked or worse yet, discarded!  Shopping for home decor at garage and yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets and antique shops is not only good for the environment, but ensures that you will have a home that truly is unique and not at all cookie cutter!  For today's post, I visited Better Homes and Gardens for some inspiration.  (All photos courtesy of BHG.com)

I really love the use of this old shutter as a memo/inspiration board!  How clever and easy!
And check out what you can do with old drawer pulls!  Who would've thought they would make such cool holders for your keys, glasses, and notes?!








I also really love this vintage metal fence turned coat rack.



Here's another simple yet stylish idea:  take an old metal grate and turn it into a magazine rack!
Below is my absolute favorite!  I really love this old window turned curio cabinet!  I like the chippiness of the paint finish, and I am drooling over all of that wonderful pottery!




I thought this was a really great idea for an old dresser.  Remove  a couple of drawers and retro fit it into a bar!



An old ladder turned pot rack is such a fun and economical idea!

 Here are some super easy yet oh so stylish ideas for the bath.  Turn an old metal silverware caddy into a fun and functional storage piece to corral all of your toiletries in style.  And I love the idea of using old silver pieces to store everything from Q-tips to cotton balls.  Tres chic!  All on an equally stylish silver platter, of course!

Vintage salt and pepper shakers make fun dispensers for bath salts and powders.  So much prettier, don't you think, than their original boring containers.
Now this is a really fun idea!  I don't know how many times I've passed up old bird cages at yard sales, but no more!  What a handy organizer it would make, to store your stationary, stamps, tape, and more!




I love old metal anything!  This vintage tool chest is perfect for storing silverware and linens with flair!
And last of all, this pretty shelf, made from an old crate, with the addition of pretty molding and shelves.
Hope these photos inspire you to think outside the box!

14 comments:

Chris Arlington said...

Dear Donna, it isn't any wonder you are so good at what you do. I love the way you find unusual ways to re purpose objects in an artful way. Thanks for the great inspirations. The weather was unexpectedly fantastic today I hope yours was good too.
Hugs

Tete said...

Love all of these ideas. I love making something useful again.
Hugs- Tete

Musings from Kim K. said...

I could look at these photos for hours. I really love seeing how items can be repurposed. It certainly was a beautiful day in West MI. Looking forward to continued good weather before the snow flies!

Prior said...

boy, these are some great examples! Lezlee

NanaDiana said...

Donna- GREAT photos of great ideas! I really love them all. It's funny but we were at someone's house tonight to watch the Packer game and she had a dresser with the bottom two doors removed and it had the wine criss-cross racks set inside. She said her Dad had picked it up 50 years ago and it was missing a door so he took the other one off and did that with it. Guess HE was ahead of his time! I love old birdcages too. Hugs- Diana

Jill Marcott-McCall ~Feathers & Flight~ said...

Hello Donna
These are Wonderful ideas! You Know I Have a Couple of old Windows... I feel a Project Coming on! Thanks for Sharing the such Wonderful Inspiration!
Have a Great Evening!
Hugs
Jill

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I just love ideas like these, Donna...great inspiration! Thanks!

mizdarlin said...

You are so right, that birdcage idea is wonderful!
I have a tiny little metal chest of drawers that I currently use for hair pins, etc.but it has had many useful lives with me..
The window turned curio is great-also take an old singlepane one and put it on top of a box-voila! instant display case!

Donna said...

What a wonderful imagination you have,...you think out of the box! I think too literally and have the same old...you are creative and these are just beautiful!!!

Erin said...

Great way to start a Monday, so thanks Donna! Love it all!

Leo said...

I LOVE flea market style. Add I am looking for a shutter or two...like what you have in the photograph. Love that look.

Kathy said...

Great ideas, and may I say fabulous pictures. I love the small pieces of hardware, used for what-nots.

Blooming Rose Musings said...

I love flea market style and I love the idea of repurposing things. Some great ideas here.
Thanks for the inspiration!

CandaceAshley said...

You have some incredible ideas! Thank you for the inspiration!