Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Friday, December 12, 2014

A Few Fun Ornament Ideas

Wow, it's hard to believe that Christmas will be here in less than two weeks!
Seems as if the season goes faster each year, doesn't it?
For me, one of the best parts of Christmas is creating!  And sharing those creations with family and friends.
So today I thought I'd share a few ornament that I made for gifting.
 Instead of running out and buying a bunch of supplies, I think it's fun to challenge myself and see what I can create with items that I already have on hand!  You know how much I adore the image of the sweet French Christmas angel.  I just had to use her yet again!  With inspiration from Pinterest, I created this pretty and glittery shadowbox scene ornament.   It is actually made from the lid of a small and sturdy cardboard  box that once held jewelry.  I ended up making two just like this, one from the lid, the other from the base of the box.
 And since I was on a glittery roll, I had fun creating this snowy ornament above, fashioned from a petite wood picture frame.  I'd had the frame in my "to do" stash forever, and was actually about to donate it to the thrift store, when inspiration struck!  So, I removed the glass, went over the frame with one quick coat of cream spray paint, then added this fun snowy scene.  I brushed the frame with Mod Podge, then dusted with shimmery mica flakes. To the inside of the frame, I added a snippet of vintage sheet music and a pretty piece of snowflake velum paper that I happened to have.  White foam snowflake stickers were added, as well as a generous dusting of clear coarse glitter and "snow" glitter.  I printed the words "let is snow" on the printer, mounted them with foam squares to give a bit of dimension, and glittered the edges.  To the top of the frame, I screwed in an eye hook and hung from vintage looking silver tinsel trim.  Oh, I also glued a piece of Christmas scrapbook paper to the back for a neat finish.
 Ok, getting back to my angel shadow boxes..........
I had so much fun creating these!!
I first used some white craft paint to paint the sides and inner edges of the box top and bottom.
Copies of vintage French Christmas sheet music were glued to the insides (found at the Graphics Fairy).
Cotton was hot glued to the inside bottom of the boxes, then I added pretty silver glittery snowflakes, "Joyeux Noel" on chipboard, and the cute little angel.  I first cut the angel silhouette out, mounted her on heavy paper, then added her to the boxes with foam mounting squares, again for dimension.
Then I did the same as for the frame, and coated the heck out of it with my clear glitter, mica and snow glitter!  I also used glitter glue on the angel.
 Silver tinsel trim was hot glued around the edges of each box, and I used silver cord to hang
(I just punched a hole in the top of each box).
 I gave these to my hairstylist the other day when I went in for a cut. She was so surprised.  I remembered last time I was in, she mentioned she didn't have much in the way of Christmas decor.
The other angel shadow box is a gift for a friend.
 Here is the backside of one of the boxes, covered in pretty paper.
 So fun, and so glittery!
 And this is part of my crafting arsenal (hahahaha!), my Martha Stewart glitter and mica. 
(I forgot to include a pic of the glitter glue.)
Martha, if you are reading this, I am still more than willing to become your official 
International Glitter Ambassador!:)
 Here is one last look!

Happy creating!

13 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

Lovely, my favorite is Let It Snow (of course).

Those bottles of MS glitter - they look familiar. Giggle. (o:

Hope you have a sparkly day crafting. Don't forget to give Katie Bug lots of attention. (o:

Hugs

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are so cute! I love both and I'm going to pin them...maybe next year I'll try to create some ornaments!
hugs,
Linda

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

They're beautiful. Who wouldn't be thrilled with one of these.

Trisha said...

They are so pretty and whoever gets them as a gift will be thrilled! You should be Martha's glitter ambassador!

~Trisha

Susie said...

Hi Glitter Queen, Donna , I just could not resist. You make the cutest things. I know my granddaughter would love making those. What a great idea to make ornaments for your hair dresser, or any other person , that you use their services. I bet they loved them too. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Debby said...

Those are really cute. I love anything handmade. It's fun to use up things that you already have. Happy Holidays.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Donna, they are great - such a wonderful job. Love home made gifts.
What a wonderful idea to make these for your hair dresser or neighbors.
Enjoy your weekend and keep on gitterling.
Mary

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, oh these ideas for ornaments are fabulous. I love them and such a great use of these items we all seem to have. I too have so many of the little boxes and worked with the frames last year, but you have inspired me to put my little boxes to good use now.
I am sure your stylist loved the ones you gifted her. Such a special keepsake when hand created. Thanks for sharing and I hope Martha is watching. You could be her spokesperson for glitter.
Hugs

Little Miss Maggie said...

Beautiful ornaments, Donna. There's nothing better than glitter for the holidays.

NanaDiana said...

I think Martha should take you up on that offer. I think you could keep her in business singlehandedly! lol

Your creations are ALWAYS beyond amazing, Donna. I will say that pictures don't do your creations justice. They are even better in real life.

Love your new header and background. It is so pretty- xo Diana

Connie said...

Oh, I love everything about this post :) I'll just bet that you are one of those ladies that sparkles with glitter wherever you go. They say that is the sure fire way to spot a paper crafter :)
Merry Christmas.
Your blogging sister,
Connie :)

Musings from Kim K. said...

I think Martha needs to be reading your blog and crown you the "glitter queen" and give you lots of free samples!!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

These are so creative and cute! I am especially drawn to the angel - I love angels in vintage print! Such great projects to use with what you have on hand! Hugs, Leena