Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sea Shell Chic

It's been so blazing hot all summer long (today temps were around 100, yikes!), that I barely set foot outside today.  Instead, I keep cool indoors by "puttering", and organizing my craft room!  I also had fun bringing out more of my sea shell treasures, that I thought I would share with you today.
I made these shell candle holders several years ago, from shell that we collected on vacations. Actually, they are little mirrors that I had in my bedroom as a teenager (and I won't tell you how long ago that was!), that were from a Home Interiors party.  You might not see the mirrors themselves very well, but they really look so pretty when the votive candles are lit!
I love anything on a pedestal!
I've also created quite a few shell covered boxes over the years.  Again, almost all of the shells you see here we picked up on beachy vacations, so they hold many special memories!
This one below was a particular labor of love.  Tons of shells, and quite a few glue gun burns later, and a former boring metal recipe box becomes a shell encrusted treasure!

The frame you see below was my very first shell covered creation.  The photo is of hubby and I on Lake Michigan several years ago.
Here's a close up of some of the details.
I also displayed some of my shell collections on my vintage hutch.
Another box, this one was a vintage cigar box.
And another little box.
Oh, I should have warned you about all of the pictures in this post!  Once I got started playing with my shells, I just couldn't stop!  A vintage silver creamer (love the patina!) holds a bit of moss, a real birds nest, and some glittered shells ('cause I've got to get the glitter in somewhere, after all!).
A cream wire basket, a garage sale find, holds more treasures from the sea.
Ok, I sure wish that I knew the trick to photographing glass cloches!  So sorry for the glare!  Anyway, underneath I have added the sweetest little sandcastle, made from real sand from the Great Lakes.  I bought it several years ago on a trip to Munising, Michigan (which is way up in the Upper Peninsula).
Here is a better look.  Isn't it just the cutest?
I really love displaying shells in my vintage little silver creamers.  I found these while we were living in Washington State.

A pretty vintage milk glass bowl holds more shells.
Here is a close up of my favorite creamer.  Love it!
You may have already seen my three tiered vintage wooden pedestal bowl before.  I really love changing it out with the seasons.  Here I have filled it with shells that I collected from our beach when we lived in Washington State (oh how I miss it there!!!).


And a few close up shots.  Just check out this huge oyster shell!  It's a whole one!

Thanks so much for stopping by today, I enjoyed our visit!
I'm sharing today's post with Kathleen over at Faded Charm, for White Wednesday, and Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday.  Do be sure to visit for tons of inspiration!

11 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Donna-I love all your treasures. The fact that they are covered with shells you collected make them even more special. I was getting worried because I didn't see anything GLITTERED and then -there it was- the work of the Glitter Queen. Love the whole post- xo Diana

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love the idea of crafting with shells. I'm with you. It's too blasted hot to enjoy the outdoors right now. When I drove home from work today, the van registered 101. Is it AZ or MI? Time to unearth some shells for crafting. Love all your special treasures.

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

These are so special, Donna.
I don't have tons of shells, but the ones I have are very special to me.
Your boxes are beautiful treasures.
Love your fav creamer!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Your shell creations are really beautiful, Donna...you did a great job on them!

Myric said...

seashells are always fun decor for summer season. I have mind around our apartment but not as wonderfully crafted like yours!

xo
Myric

Trisha said...

All those pretty shells make me want to visit the ocean! Even though I know how much you love home, I am glad to hear that you miss Washington. I have never lived anywhere but Idaho my whole life...I have always thought it would be fun to just pack up and move somewhere brand new. Hope you are staying cool!

~Trisha

Karen said...

Everything looks so pretty, Donna! I love what you've done with the shells. We attended a wedding a couple of weeks ago for a young couple who left MI for FL when they graduated from college. They now have jobs there and a new home. Anyway, their wedding theme was "beachy". They used so many nice touches at the reception using shells, etc. The favors were "shells" in tiny galvanized pails, wrapped in tan mesh fabric...The best part, the shells were made of vanilla chocolate! I'll tell you more when I see you.

Love, Karen

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Your shell boxes are GORGEOUS! I also love all of the wire baskets that you use to display your shells. Lovely photos!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Your sea shell art is beautiful. Perfect with your sand castle. I have never seen one of those preserved like that. Very cool.

trash talk said...

I collect seashell art and I think yours are simply charming.
Deb

Debbie said...

Nothing says "beachy" like seashells!
I love how you've decorated so many pieces with your collections of pretty shells, Donna...especially the glittered ones.
I have them all over my house too.
xxoo