Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The View From My Back Yard

Palm trees swaying softly in the breeze, the sound of gentle ocean waves, me hanging out in a hammock almost ready for a refill of my pina colada.....................
Ok, where was I?  Well, that day dream was nice while it lasted.  The above shot is of St. Croix, where we were  2 years ago about this time.  And that is where we should be now!

Instead, this is our view:
 Yikes!  A couple of hours ago, I bundled up and ventured out to take this shots.  This is what crazy bloggers like me do for the sake of a good photograph!  I'm not sure how much snow we've gotten so far, suffice to say:  alot!  Thankfully the wind from last night finally died down a bit , and we didn't receive the freezing rain that many did.  But, they have been calling this storm "historic", and it is still coming down!
 There are steps under here somewhere!  The drifts were nearly to my knees in some spots!
 And yes, I had to take a picture of my foot in the snow.  My neighbors must think I have lost it by now!

 A shot of our backyard.  I could barely get the backdoor open this morning so that our doggy could go out and do her business.  I have since shoveled a pathway for her.  I think our shovel and snowblower are going to get a good workout over the next day or so!!
And this is a view inside, looking out.  Lots and lots of snow!  Did I say that I am so ready for spring?!
Isn't this blue bird sweet? I took these next photos while safe and snug indoors.  We have a heated birdbath, that the birds just love!  When I awoke this morning to discover all of the huge icicles hanging from it, I thought maybe the heater stopped working.  Well, it's still working, thankfully!  I guess all of that wild wind we had last night blew some of the water out, to produce all of those icicles! 
 This is one of the most popular spots in our yard!  We love watching all of the birds here and at our many feeders, and get especially excited when we spot "our" bluebirds!
 I bet they are wishing that they had flown south for the winter!
 I know that I do!
 Isn't he gorgeous?
 We have several peanut feeders, this one is right up by our window, so it's so fun to watch them at work!
And a cardinal is posing in our Christmas tree, that we have propped up in the backyard.
I am so glad that I don't have to be anywhere today.  The snowplow hasn't even made it thru, and I have a feeling they won't for awhile!  So, we are staying nice and snug indoors.  I hope that you are, too, whatever the weather is like where you are!
And, after all of these snowy views, I leave you with this parting shot:


10 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love the bird shots,esp the bird bath and the cardinal. I feel your pain with the snow!

Tete said...

Donna, so glad you are home and warm. Love your bird photos, but not too sure about the last one. A relative? LOL
I am going to look into one of those heaters for my birdbath. I didn't know they made them. My feeder has sure been attacked this week.
There is calm between the winds. We had the eye go over us and it was creepy- too quiet and then after awhile the winds came back- still have wind today, so it's on your way to drift some more!
So ready for spring!
Hugs- Tete

Christine said...

Your post made me laugh Donna! Enough of this winter stuff already... I, too love the bird bath pictures. Umm, that last one is pretty hilarious too :)!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Your bird bath pictures are so sweet. That storm is definitely something to write about. Our whole house is home for a snow day. Chris estimates we recieved 16 inches of new snow. Luckily, it's only snow.

Happy February!

Debbie said...

My comment didn't go through...just wanted to tell you how nice your bird pics are, Donna!
The bird bath is awesome looking with the birds and the icicles!
AND, how lucky you got a pic of Bob Marley while on vacation!!! I thought he was "tanner" than that???
Hugs,
Debbie@lakehouse

NanaDiana said...

Well, I wish I were sitting at your kitchen table with you right about now watching all those birds. We could laugh and I'd even bring my own coffee! LOVELY shots, Donna. Your neighbors THINK you are crazy? No kidding?! My neighbors KNOW I am crazy.. Hugs-Diana

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I LOVE the birdbath shots~ you sure get a beautiful variety of birds! We are looking very wintery here, too! St. Croix is looking good to me, too!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--I bet YOU wish you had flown south too!!! The snow is unreal--I've never seen so much of it in my life!!
XO

Kaybe said...

Oh those poor birdies. This weather is just crazy. Hubby seems to be handling it well :D

Take good care,

Karen

Erin said...

Love your birdies! I've not thought of a peanut feeder, gonna have to give that a go!