Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Grandma's Vintage Sewing Machine

Hope everyone has been having a great weekend!  We've been receiving yet more snow here at the Chateau, 3 or 4" yesterday, and more today!  I say "Enough already"!  While I must admit that it's pretty, I am longing for warmer temps and green grass!

Today I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite things, my Grandma's antique treadle sewing machine.  When she passed away many years ago, I was fortunate enough to inherit it.


I keep it in our sunroom, where I can enjoy it every day.

I've accessorized it with two metal pitchers that are also some of my favorite things.  I found the tallest one on the left a year or two ago at Home Goods, and I got the beautiful rose one last fall on a trip to Mackinac Island.

I've also added a bundle of vintage books (which I have added to my Etsy shop, but thought I would enjoy them for a bit here!).

 Look at the beautiful details of the drawers!  I love the nobs, too!
 My Grandma never used an electric sewing machine a day in her life!  I can remember going over to her house, and she's be working the treadle with her feet.  She sewed many, many quilts in her lifetime on this sewing machine.  She used it right into her 80's!  Grandma must have surely had some strong calf and thigh muscles!
 I even have the warranty of Grandma's machine! She purchased it as a young woman way back in July of 1913, before she married my Grandpa.  The warranty said that it was good for 25 years!  Can you believe it?!  Now days, we are lucky to get a one year warranty!

 I hadn't opened the machine up for many years, in fact, I had forgotten just what it looked like! 
 A bit rusty, a bit dusty, but still very pretty, I think!
 Grandma even kept the original manual.  Below you will see the parts that were available for re order, most of which were just pennies a piece!
 I just love these old graphics!



Thanks for letting me share a few of my memories and favorite things with you today.  Hope you have a great week!

10 comments:

Tete said...

What a treasure! You can take a paper towel with some veggie cooking oil, crisco is the best, and rub it down with that. It will help keep it from rusting. you need to do a couple times a year. It's in really good shape for as old as it is. Lovely details, too!
Hugs- Tete

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a special treasurer. The detail on the sewing machine is just fabulous. I'm in agreement on the snow. Enough already.

Leo said...

What an amazing piece of machinery. It looks awesome. And a 25 year warranty? Unbelievable. But look how well it was made...it probably never broke down. I love it Donna. And the pitchers too. Very pretty.

So sorry about the snow. We are having a mini heat wave down here. It is 80 degrees today!!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh how wonderful! Think of all the things your Grandmother made for her family. I have one also, a singer but it does not have the beautiful detailed carvings.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I love it. I got my grammas too but yours is much more ornate. Mine is an old FREE (brand name)...I can still remember her sewing on it. LOVE yours...and you have it in a beautiful setting. hugs- Diana

Chris Arlington said...

Thanks for sharing Donna. I love vintage machines. I had to stop collecting it was getting "sew" out of control.
Love your photos on the sidebar
Keep Well,
Hugs, Chris

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Donna,
LOVE this post!! It is precious...thank you so much for sharing it!!!
XO

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

This isn't just a sewing machine, it's a piece of art. They sure don't make them like they used to, that's why they could give such a good waranty. The history behind it is priceless. Thanks for sharing and for visiting with me.

Donna said...

Beautiful vignete witht he pitcher...but LOVE the sewing machine!! What a treasure!! Wouldn't you love to take that to the Antiques roadshow??

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a treasure, Donna! And the vignette you decorated the cabinet with, is lovely!