Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thrift store tray make over

I found a really neat wooden tray a few weeks ago at the Good Will.  Here she is in her before state.  Not terrible, but definitely room for improvement!  I took this photo after I had taken the metal handles off. I really like the scalloped edge, and thought she had potential, though at the time I wasn't sure what I would do with her.  Whenever that's the case, I head on over to the Graphics Fairy
for some inspiration!  I found this really neat copy of a vintage French label, and I thought the shape and the color would be perfect!  After giving the tray a bath, I then primed her and gave her two coats of American Accents spray paint in aqua.  I am loving this color!  I have already used up the entire can on several projects!  Ahhh!  Better already!  I then distressed her a bit with sandpaper, and added some cute little polka dots along the edge to help accent her curvyness.  I used a special tool made just for painting polka dots.  Wanna see it?

 
Ta da!  A pencil eraser makes perfect polka dots! I just dipped it into a bit of cream craft paint.  After the dots dried, I used Ralph Lauren antiquing glaze in "smoke".  Just wipe or brush it on, and wipe it off.  Whenever I use it, I always think of the old "Karate Kid" movie:  "wax on, wax off"!!  Silly, I know.........     Then I was ready to decoupage.  I wanted an aged look and didn't want the label to look so white, so I used a sepia toned decoupage medium.  Well, it was just alot darker than I wanted, so I mixed just a bit with regular Mod Podge til I got the look I was going for.  I gave her several coats, letting dry between each.  Oh, I almost forgot one step.  I had read somewhere that to avoid bubbles in your paper when decoupaging, first spray with an acrylic sealer.  I did this & let it dry before I decoupaged it to the tray.  Still not sure if it made any difference!

I then spray painted the metal handles a flat black, and once they were dry, I used some Rub N Buff in "antique gold" to give them some character.

Here she is!  I am really happy with how she turned out!  I sold her in my Etsy shop, and I hope the new owner will really enjoy it.  I had lots of fun making it, and now I want to find some more trays to give a face lift to!                    
I am linking up with Trash to Treasure over at Reinvented as well as Beyond the Picket Fence Under $100 Party.                                                                 

21 comments:

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

That turned out fabulous! Love the color and the glaze you used. I'm not surprised it sold so fast! I think I'm going to have to get some of that aqua paint.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Wow, that tray looks so pretty and I love the antique look. No wonder someone grabbed it up!

hugs
Sissie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Your newly refurbished tray looks soooo good. I love it. Love the color and the label. Perfect!!

Kerri said...

What a transformation! I LOVE your "special too"...that's pretty handy!

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comment!

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

Unbelievable transformation! Great job! Not to mention the killer 'potential eyes' for this Goodwill find! I am totally impressed! WAY TO GO!

I'm a new follower of yours... I am visiting from Get Craftin.
jeredith.blogpsot.com

Miss Gracie's House said...

This turned out so cute! This is the second project I've see with this paint color...gonna have to find some!
Rene

Amaco said...

Donna,

What a great look,and so thrilled to see you incorporated AMACO's Rub 'n Buff into your project. We have about 15 different colors, so you can create so many different looks. Let your readers know they can find it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, craft stores, art supply stores, and www.amaco.com. I would like to link to your post on my twitter and Facebook. Thanks for using AMACO's Rub 'n Buff!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

This tray turned out fabulous! I knew it had potential in your first pic and you did an awesome job. (The colors would be perfect in my bedroom.) So glad a customer snatched it up, Etsy sales always validate your creativity, don't they? Thx for your kind words and the link to my rosette necklace blog post. Your idea of pins is a good one...so pins, ahoy! New follower, btw.

Karen said...

Great job! What a find for some lucky Etsy shopper!

Gina F. said...

You did a fantastic job on the tray. I absolutely love the color. No wonder someone grabbed it up on Etsy. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! :)

Gina
Visit my blog at http://motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Saw your post at Reinvented and wanted to stop by and tell you I like it!! Just awesome the way that tray came out!

the gypsy magpie said...

FANTASTIC makeover! I love everything- the color you chose, the 'vintage' feel from the tinted decoupage medium (that's a new one for me) and especially the cute little side handles. Beautiful!

The House Creative said...

Gorgeous! The tray turned out great. Fabulous colors too, the blue is stunning.

Anonymous said...

This is SUPER CUTE!

René said...

What a pretty tray! I just love it!

Donna said...

Thanks so much everyone for your nice comments! They make my day! Now I have to hunt for more trays, and get some more of that great aqua spray paint!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE it. The color you picked is gorgeous as well. Have you ever seen this site??

http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/search/label/French

She's got some incredible free french vintage graphics. You should check it out!!! I have been thinking about doing something with them, I just haven't decided what. If your project is any indication I am SURE you can find some great projects to make out of the images!!

restlessrisa said...

That tray is BEAUTIFUL! Well done :)

<3

Risa

Christine said...

I love that tray! Nice nice job. Love The Graphics Fairy too...

Debbiedoos said...

I adore this tray Donna!~ You did a fabulous job. I look forward to seeing some pics from your trip...you lucky duck!