Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Monday, November 3, 2014

Chalk Painted Pedestal Plant Stand

Bon jour Mes Amis!
Hope your November has gotten off to a good start!
Today I thought I'd share with you one of my latest transformations, an antique pedestal style plant stand that I gave a new lease on life!  Now, I know that many would cringe at the thought of painting an antique.
And if this were a fine antique, I would probably be hesitant to paint it.
But, the stand, which belonged to my grandpa, (my mom's dad) was looking pretty tired and literally dried out!  I had inherited it many years ago, and attempted several times over the years to strip the layers and layers of dark finish from it, to no avail.

 Then it finally occurred to me recently that it could look oh so much better if it were painted!
At first I thought I would use my usual favorite shade of cream, but for some reason it just didn't seem to suit the stand, which lives in our sunroom.
So I ended up painted it my very favorite shade of light blue, and am so happy with the end result!
 The same shade of blue is in the floral cushions of our wicker furniture.
Here is one end of our sunroom.  
It is our favorite room in the house.  I would dearly love to paint those wood walls, but someone 
(whose name will go unmentioned!)
doesn't want them touched!
 Anyway, I didn't have the shade of blue on hand that I had in mind, so I pulled all of my chalk paints out, and mixed up about 4 different colors, til I came up with this!
It only took two coats to cover, yeah!  I let it cure for a day, then distressed it a bit.
Dry brushing is a relatively new technique for me, and I knew that I wanted to try my hand at in on the stand.
So, I kind of winged it, and subtly dry brushed both a light gray chalk paint, as well as dark brown wax.  I could have just used dark brown paint, but I have a jar of the brown wax that I really want to use up.
 I didn't want anything looking too heavy, so if I didn't like the look, I would just wipe it down a bit with a rag as I went along.
 I also used a clear wax for a subtle sheen and protection. I must say that I am 
really happy with the end result!  
And I am glad that I went with this shade of blue, rather than the cream.
Perched on top is my grandma's (my dad's mom) Christmas cactus.  I've had it for many years, and have started new plants from it too.  I just noticed today a few little pink buds showing, so I am excited about that!
I think my plant stand is much happier with its new look!

10 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

I know who it is. J _ _ _. (o: That would be a beautiful shade for that room. Love the plant holder.

I see a Christmas cactus? Well, mine loved the high altitude and cool summer, they all doubled in size and I just finished bringing them in for the winter and they take up one end of the family room, of course it's their favorite sunny spot. There are thousands of flower buds on them and just one or two have begun opening. I'll send you a picture. See, this mountain air is good for us (plants too).

Hugs

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I think the paint gives it a wonderful fresh, modern look...I love it!

Susie said...

Donna, That color turned out nicely. I absolutely love your sunroom. Hope you get to enjoy it lots. xoxo,Susie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I really like the color you choose. I'm starting to look for a soft gray so I can paint my cedar chest. Any colors you would recommend?

Hugs,
Linda

NanaDiana said...

That looks great, Donna. I have a stand that was in my family, too, that I have often thought of painting. hmmmm...Your's turned out beautifully and I like the color, too.

My Christmas cactus has started to put out buds, too. It is really early! My mother always had huge Christmas cacti but hers died when she came to live with us many years ago.

Have a great night- xo Diana

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Your stand look wonderful. you really did an outstanding job on it.
I always hate to paint antiques too, but sometimes you have to. Like the color and it goes so well in your sunroom.
Have a great week - hugs to Katie.
Mary

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Una peana preciosa, me encanta como te ha quedado, besos

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, Love your plant stand. The color you mixed up is a gorgeous shade of blue. Adding the distress and waxes really make it beautiful. It is special to have this piece and now it has a new life.
What a lovely room Donna. I can see why this is a favorite spot. I could spend lots of time here too. The wood walls are gorgeous and add so much to the area. Love the view out the windows too. Your home is so beautiful!!
Hugs

Musings from Kim K. said...

Your Christmas cactus looks very happy on your gorgeous plant stand. Such a pretty color, Donna. A beautiful room too!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

The plant stand looks great, Donna. I love the color and you did a good job with the dry brushing! I know you will enjoy it in your sunroom.