Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Trash to Treasure Makeover

Hi, hope you are all having a great weekend!
Normally when I share with you one of my makeover projects, I like to begin by showing you the "after", as so often the "befores" are so darn ugly that I'm afraid I'd scare you off!  Well, I just couldn't resist starting out by showing you what my latest transformation began life as:
 See, I wasn't joking!  What an ugly duckling this wooden coat rack was!  
(or should I say "ugly gosling"?!)
I actually found it a few years ago at a church rummage sale, and had it in my stash, just waiting for inspiration to hit.  I knew when I first spotted it, it had potential, as it's made of solid wood, has good lines, and the pegs made it functional.
I'm sure that many a person who spots me purchasing these oh so hideously ugly treasures in the making thinks to themselves:  "That poor, poor woman!  She has absolutely no taste!"
So here is what I used to make over this puppy:
A great Frenchy stencil, black chalky finish paint, brown cream wax, clear wax, and white acrylic paint, all from DecoArt.

Are you ready to see the finished product?
Viola!
 After sanding the entire piece, I painted several coats of the chalky finish paint, then used the white acrylic to stencil a French street address, as well as the wonderful fleur de lis at each end.  I then gave it a generous dose of distressing, and followed with several coats of cream wax.  I used the brown wax to tone down the white stenciling, so that it had more of an aged appearance. Then I used a few coats of clear wax, buffing between each coat.
 I must say that I like this a whole lot better than the 1980's country geese!

 I'll be putting this in my Etsy shop.  You can be sure that I'll be looking for more ugly ducklings to transform, as I had so much fun working on this project!
Ok, here is one more look at the "before":
 And the "after"!
I've not been compensated for writing this post, though I was provided with the products from DecoArt.
Now go out and have a creative day!

18 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, WOW this turned out fantastic. What a great before and after. So glad you shared the before this time because after you worked your magic it is stunning. Love the color and the stencil. So chic. You are so creative!! It is going to fly out of your shop.
Happy Weekend
XO

Susie said...

Donna, That is night and day...it's so different now . I love it !! You have shown that no matter how homely something may be it can become a work of art. xoxo,Susie

Blondie's Journal said...

You are GOOD, Donna! I love this! What were we thinking back in the 80's? I'm sure I had something like this! lol! Wonderful job!

XO,
Jane

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This looks SO great, Donna! I love projects where you can upcycle something ugly into something beautiful and usable today! Wonderful job!

NanaDiana said...

That turned out really great, Donna. You get better and better and better each time you do something new. That is a great piece! Love it- xo Diana

ps. We are in the UP- there is still ice in the lake up here- ugh

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Donna,
What a great relove story. You took this piece and reloved it so beautifully. Great job. It will probably sell fast.
Kris

Bente said...

That is a great make over. Love it.

Have a nice new week
Hugs

Debbie said...

I know I've said this before about a piece you've done.....but...this is my favorite thing that you've re-done, Donna!!!
What a transformation!
You did an amazing job on this!
Love it!
Debbie
xo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow, Donna! I can't even tell you what an amazing transformation I think you did on this piece. Remember how popular those geese were at one time? Makes me wonder what we were thinking! : ) Love it in its new life.

Thanks so much for your comment on Celeste's Etsy post. Let me know if you'd be interested in joining in. I'm up to the end of June for openings.

Tete said...

I so would have walked right by that one! Love what you did to it. I couldn't believe the change! Awesome job...how about working on my face? Its getting worse every year...

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Donna, sad to say that is one ugly little rack before, but I have to admit that was all the rage when country first became so popular. I actually can remember having something with those geese on it!! But you have made it all pretty now. What a great transformation and fun too..Happy Sunday..Judy

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Definitely an ugly duckling to fabulous French swan! I would have never gave that second look....now I'll keep my eyes open....great transformation!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Unbelievable transformation. There are some parts of the 80s that definitely need to be left behind. Well done, Donna.

Jan Hermann said...

Beautiful Make-Over on this Ugly Duckling! LOL!! Love the color and stencil you chose.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fabulous makeover, Donna. I had to laugh when I saw the before. I remember seeing that look in many houses while shopping garage and estate sales. Always hated it. LOL So glad you gave it new life.

Little Miss Maggie said...

What a difference. Outstanding, Donna.

The Vintage Chateau said...

What a difference, great job!
Karee

Unknown said...

Beautiful make-over! You are so creative!Greetings all the way from England