Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Visit to Historic Fort Pulaski, near Savannah, Georgia

Bonjour Ya'll!
Yesterday we visited historic Fort Pulaski, which is just outside of Savannah.  We'd been the fort several years ago and enjoyed it alot, and since it was such a warm and sunny day, we thought it would be fun to go again.
Hubby and I aren't history buffs or anything, but when we are able to get up close and personal, it's fun to learn more!
The fort appeared in scenes from the movie "The Conspirator", that Robert Redford directed a few years ago.  As a matter of fact, the first time we visited Savannah, we just so happened to see Robert on the set of the movie downtown!  What a thrill that was, especially since he had been my teenage heart throb
(and I won't tell you how many years ago that was!!)
Building of the fort began in 1829, and took 18 years to complete, at a cost of $1 million dollars.  Can you imagine how much money that was way back then??!!!
 The fort is surrounded by a moat, and even has a drawbridge.  Occasionally alligators swim around the moat, but thankfully we didn't see any!
 The fort was considered indestructible, not just because of the moat, but because the walls are solid brick, and 7 1/2 feet deep!
 Well, everyone was more than surprised when the fort was attacked by the Union in the midst of the Civil War.  You can still see where their cannons damaged the walls (oops, I forgot to get a picture of that!!).
 I was in awe of the architecture, the white washed brick, and the amazing arches.
The Confederate's surrendered to the Union troups, and the fort was eventually turned into a military prison.  

 Hubby got a little out of control and had to be locked up!
 The fort is dog friendly, so we were happy to be able to take Katie along.  She enjoyed exploring as well!
 What is that on the handle of the cannon, below?
Take a closer look, it's a beautiful blue bird!  I was so surprised to see him, he even seemed to be "posing" for a photograph!
 Lots of history here.
Fort Pulaski is just a few minutes from Tybee Island, which we also visited once before.  In all honesty, we are not at all impressed with Tybee.  Not only is the beach not dog friendly (they fine you $290 if they catch you with a dog), but you have to pay to park everywhere, 7 days a week.  So all you see are lots and lots of "no parking" and "tow away zone" signs.  Some may disagree, but it just isn't the quaint island that I always thought it would be.  Other than alot of homes and motels, there really isn't much there that is nice.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your week, now I am off to see what you have been up to!

10 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Looks like you, hubby and Katie had a good time touring the Fort. I haven't been up to much. Getting everything ready for the rain we are going to get - I'll believe that when I see it. They always yell wolf and then nothing happens. I am so ready for rain - I really think we all will feel better with a good rain to wash away all the dirt from the winds we have had.
So glad that you guys are having fun - enjoy yourselves.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs to Katie.
Mary

Susie said...

That fort is amazing. I love seeing things like that. Your bluebird photo was wonderful. Hope you enjoy your time there. xoxo,Susie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I've never been to the fort or Tybee, maybe I'll get to both one day.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- What fun you had, Donna. About time you get to really enjoy staying where you are. I have not been to Tybee Island in almost 40 years-not much more than a kid back then and it was quaint and it was not touristy at all back then-just a quaint little Southern place. Too bad that things have to change so much.

Enjoy your stay there- xo Diana

Tete said...

I love going through old places like that, and I love cannons. Glad you locked hubby up for awhile! I don't think I would like that island. Must not want anyone to come back. Kind of rude if you ask me.

Little Miss Maggie said...

I wish I had learned more history when I was in school. I honestly think I have learned more American history from all my visits to the east and the south. Somehow it just comes alive for me and I'm like a sponge. Glad you are still vacationing.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, what an amazing place to visit with so much history in Fort Pulaski. Your pics are great. Glad it was dog friendly for Katie to be with you. Great pics of you and your hubby. Great shot of the bluebird too. Too bad Tybee isn't as nice to visit. Doesn't sound tourist friendly at all.
The weather looks gorgeous and those blue skies incredible.
Have fun and a great weekend.
Hugs

Bente said...

Dear Donna, I love to see pictures like this. What a nice time you have, and Katie too. She is soo cute. Love the photo of her on two.
I haven`t been so much around visiting blogs, because my PC only works when it want to,lol. Hope it will be fixed soon.
Wish you a great weekend.

Hugs from here

Karen said...

Amazing picture of the beautiful blue bird!

It must have been great to visit the fort....we are history buffs.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This post brings back memories of times spent there as a girl...I really need to take a trip back to Savannah again. Thanks for sharing, Donna!