Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Late Bloomers

The hot and dry summer we had here in Michigan took its tole on my flowers, but thankfully we've cooled off, and gotten some much needed rain.  Despite the heat and drought, many of my blooms did actually seem to thrive in the heat. So today I thought I'd share some of them with you!

 Aren't these wave petunias gorgeous? 
 I think they are so bright and cheery!  I've got three of these flower boxes hanging from our front deck railing, filled with spike, geraniums, and sweet potato vine.
 Of course black eyed Susan's always seem to do well no matter what the thermostat says!

 Below is a close up of lantana.  I love how the orange center contrasts with the hot pink!

 Marigolds are another one of those tried and true flowers!

 I adore blue flowers!  It's hard to find true blue blossoms like these pretty lobelia and ageratum.

 Not sure what these cheery orange flowers are.  I planted them from seed, so I'll be sure and collect some of their seeds for next year.
 What could be cheerier than a pretty sunflower?  I really love this shorter lemony yellow variety.
 Zinnas are another one of my favorite late summer annuals, though I didn't grow as many this year as I usually do.  Oh well, there's always next year!

 Of course I love bringing in flowers to create pretty bouquets thru out the house.  I think these pink lilies are so beautiful!  Wish you could smell them, their scent is amazing!
 And here I've created a simple little bouquet of black eyed Susans and zinnas.
 Speaking of late bloomers, I'm not ashamed to admit that I consider myself one!  I didn't get married til I was thirty something.   And, after spending many years in the wrong careers (including 7 years in the corporate world, which I was definitely not cut out for!).  I finally found my calling!  I am oh so thankful that I can work from home, happily creating away to my hearts content!
So, it's never too late to bloom where you are planted!:)
Have a great day!

10 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

So pretty. Back home we grew sunflowers one summer and in the fall the entire centers turned to seeds. I cut the blooms off and dried them in the sun, of course the Bluejays had to sample some, but I had enough seeds for the birds for a good part of the winter. That was so much fun.

Miss Emily didn't want to sit in the garden & have her picture taken?

Hugs

Trisha said...

Wow! I guess your flowers loved the heat-they are all so pretty! I am so ready for fall and cool weather...I bet you are too!

~Trisha

NanaDiana said...

Great flower shots, Donna! You have some beautiful plants. Your planter boxes are gorgeous! You a late bloomer? nah.....you are young at heart and that is what really counts- xo Diana

Musings from Kim K. said...

You'd never know that we had such an awful drought this summer. Your plants are just gorgeous.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your flowers look beautiful. The horrific heat shortened the life of some flowers here. My sedum is doing great though.

Tete said...

Love all your late bloomers! I had no idea that you were in the corporate world! How cool that you found your love and true calling!
Hope you are having a fun time this week. I know its going by fast for me.

Bente said...

How beautiful. Love your flowers and that sweet birdcage.

So funny we have the same little cabinet. Love to change the things I put inside.( My english is terrible)

Have a nice day

Hugs

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Such a cheerful post Donna! You've got quite the green thumb here. I think those petunias remind me of Christmas mint candies. :)
I'm a late bloomer, too - didn't marry until 35, had an earlier career and now love to craft & decorate my heart away.
Cheers to late bloomers like us!

Karen said...

Donna, your flowers are all so beautiful and healthy looking!

Cindy Adkins said...

Your yard is so beautiful, Donna! You must be so glad to finally be HOME!!!! XO Cindy