Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Flying Fun

It was such a beautiful and sunny day yesterday, that hubby and I decided to fly in his plane down to Kelley's Island, Ohio, which is in the middle of Lake Erie.  It was my first time going up in the plane since we moved back to Michigan, and it felt so good to get my wings back!
The 40 minute flight there was beautiful.  The first shot is a view of farmland not too far from our home.  Love all of that green!
Here we are, approaching the island.
We took our nifty pair of red folding bikes along.  We just fold them up, put them in their carrying cases, and pop them in the back seat! The red bikes against hubby's blue and white plane look rather patriotic, don't you think?
Ok, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself in all the excitement!  Here we are approaching the runway.
Wow!  That runway sure looks short! No worries, it's just an illusion!
Good thing I don't have to worry about landing this puppy!
Kelley's Island is nice and flat, making it perfect for bike riding.  Good thing there aren't too many hills, as neither of us have ridden bikes since two years ago.  And I am feeling it today (but in a good way, I guess!).
We saw a man tooling around in this cute little Model T.
 He parked it right next to a shop that rents out bikes.  Love the pink ones! 
Darn!  Looking at this photo, I realized that I forgot to take a picture of a giant sized aqua Adirondack chair, that you can just get a tiny glimpse of in the upper right of the photo.  Oh well, next time!

Isn't this Gothic style vintage home just the cutest?  It is my absolute favorite on the island.  Just look at that lovely white picket fence, beautiful porch, and gorgeous gingerbread trim! Oh, and the window at the top, which they had shuttered.
***Sigh***
Gorgeous!  I've never seen any trim just like it.
Ok, I could also totally see myself living in this amazing stone mansion! They have been busy renovating it for the past few years, and it's a stunner!  I would dearly love to live in an old stone house.  Imagine how cool it would be in the summer, and warm in the winter!
Love the cupola at the top.  Bet that would be a great place for watching the sun rise and set over Lake Erie!
Here is a side view.  Love that round window at the top, and the corbels, too!  I am so glad that this house is being restored to it's original grandeur, rather than just torn down, like so many other older building seem to be these days!
And here is my very own cute private pilot!
Snapped this shot on the way home.  Off the wing tip at the horizon is Pelee Island, Canada. We've also flown there several times over the years with our bikes.  It's a much larger island, and lots of fun to visit.
And here are more Ohio islands, including South Bass Island.
It sure was a fun day, but whew, am I tired!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

13 comments:

Japolina said...

Love the photos. (and those bikes) What a lovely day! Thanks for sharing.

Japolina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shabby Gr8 Dane said...

What a stunning day for a fun, romantic trip. It surely isn't that nice back in Washington State - a high of 55 today and definitely WET! Can't tell it is summer today, oh I forgot we are in the Northwest and that is a typical summer day. Thank you for sharing.

The Bear's Blog said...

Oh, thank you for the amazing, AMAZING, tour. Oh my goodness....I can't even imagine.

Hugs

NanaDiana said...

I am so glad you were able to get away for the day, Donna. Looks like fun- :Limited internet here but wanted to say Hi-xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

I am so glad you were able to get away for the day, Donna. Looks like fun- :Limited internet here but wanted to say Hi-xo Diana

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Well, this sure looks like a fun day...adventure and so much to see...thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

You are sooo blessed, Donna!
How many people get to see what you see?
Now we get to see it too!
Thank you for sharing.
Hope you are enjoying your Sunday.
xxoo

Susie said...

Donna, I love the bikes, and the plane isn't bad either :):) I took a couple flying lessons once, but when I saw that I would have to fly over high power lines to land...I changed my mind.YIKES. Smiles, Susie

Bente said...

What? You have your own plane? How fantastic that must be. So nice to see these photos. What a lovely day.

Wish you a high flying start of a new week.

Hugs from me

Karen said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day! The views are gorgeous. Love the sweet little houses!

You are SO lucky!

Laurel Stephens said...

What a wonderful day! Thanks for taking us along. (and heck, yeah, that runway looks short!!)

Trisha said...

What an awesome thing to be able to do! I get sick when I fly so would be a horrible passenger, but it looks like so much fun!

~Trisha