Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dinner on the Deck


To me, one of the best parts of summer and warm weather is being able to dine outside.  Nothing says romance like dining al fresco, so today I thought I'd share with  you a little romantic table for two!
 We usually eat at a larger umbrellaed table on our front deck, but today I thought it would be more private and fun to set this small table on the back deck.
For the occasion,  I brought out our green bistro chairs which we use in our sunroom.  Notice in the photo below who is peering out the window?
 A wire candelier, found at a garage sale a few years ago for just a buck, adds to the romance.  That's a glimpse of our sunroom that you see in the reflection (as well as a reflection of me snapping this shot, whoops!!).
 Since this table is small, I didn't want to clutter it up with a bunch of stuff, so I kept things simple.  I used this gorgeous white crocheted tablecloth (another garage sale find) on top of a pretty pink patchwork tablecloth.
Green leaf shaped plates, pretty green water goblets, as well as lovely white vintage napkins and a sweet bird napkin ring make for an easy place setting.
Freshly picked pink blossoms from my garden in a pretty hobnail milk glass vase.
 Yummy Washington State cherries (so sweet, they are better than candy, any day!!) fill a gorgeous vintage tea cup and saucer that was part of hubby's mom's collection.

 Candlelight flickers from mercury glass votives, atop a pretty little silver tray that has just the right amount of patina.  (two of my favorite things are vintage silver and mercury glass!!)
 Herbal ice tea in pretty goblets.  Plenty of ice and lots of lemon make it so refreshing on a hot day!

 Glass water bottle that we brought back from our latest trip to Paris.  I love using it, and think of our trip each time!
 Another nice thing about eating outdoors is admiring the plants and flowers!


 While I was snapping this photo shoot, I noticed this amazing dragonfly on the side of the house!


 Another look at my candelier.
Ok, full disclosure, dinner tonight is takeout pizza! 
Bon appetit!

18 comments:

Susie said...

Donna, Keep that up and your husband will be taking you back to Paris. I loved the table setting and everything about it being outdoors.xoxo,Susie

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

What a lovely setting for take-out.

NanaDiana said...

I love it, Donna. The set up is wonderful and romantic and I can almost smell the sweet, fresh air. You did a great job. Love the picture of your "baby" sitting there looking out the door- xo Diana

tlcukjourney said...

I must say... You know how to make an elegant dinner party for 2!
I do love the bottle you bought in Paris... Tres beautiful!
Tammy

The Bear's Blog said...

PIZZA! Oh, Donna, I thought you and John had cooked something so romantic. PIZZA?

You are so lucky to be able to enjoy eating outdoors, not here in Tallahassee FL, if the humidity doesn't ruin the moment the bugs will. Sigh.....

Katie is so grown up, just yesterday she was a wee little baby. Precious.

Musings from Kim K. said...

You have a beautiful setting for outdoor dining. Love your pretty tablescape. That chandelier was such a steal! I always enjoy seeing pictures of Katie too!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am ready to pull up a chair and join you!! Love the simplicity of the table. Oh I want one of those water bottles...you bought water in Paris? Tellme, so I can get one! I love it!

Linda

Bente said...

So cosy and romantic, Donna. Love your privat space.

Whish you a great weekend

Hugs from here

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I would love to dine on your gorgeous table. I love your lace table cloth and pizza sounds mighty fine!

Carol

Little Miss Maggie said...

Beautiful setting. Dining al fresco is one of my favorite parts of summer too. There is something magical about it especially when the sun starts to fade.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a beautiful place to dine. Love the chairs and your gorgeous table setting. Nothing better than beautiful flowers from the garden and a stunning view. Happy to be a new follower.
hugs,
Jann

Kadee Willow said...

Table for two, madame?? What a delightful way to spend an evening meal. Fresh flowers from the garden, wonderful food, the memory of husband's mother with the addition of her cup and saucer... just a heartfelt presentation!!

Debbie said...

What a lovely setting for you and John to enjoy each other's company, Donna.
That's what I love about summer...being able to have meals outside among the flowers, and trees, and fresh air.
Your table looks so pretty.
xo

john said...

Oh Donna I love eating al fresco ... food tastes so much nicer.. . what a beautiful setting you have done ...looks lovely ...mind you I think someone feels a little left out hehe ! bon appetit !
Gail x

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, what a gorgeous outdoor setting. So inviting and cozy. I love your plates and the silver tray with the candles is a pretty touch. Love how you layered your table with the pink and lace. Look at that little darling watching from the window.
Great shot of the dragon fly. Your flowers are gorgeous. Such a romantic spot. Hope you had a great week.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Something Special said...

Donna you are my winner in my giveaway from Where Bloggers create. Please email me at askm_mac@yahoo.com and give me an address to where I can send this shabby vintage dishtowel pillow made by me. Thanks and congratulations

Something Special said...

Oh come and see what you have won, I am just posting it now.

Tete said...

I just spent at least the half hour in here trying to catch up with you! Love all the posts and all your frames, your craft spot, gardens and watching Katie grow up! Hope you are doing well and glad you got to do the rummage sales!