Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Few Fun Organizing Ideas

Bonjour Mes Amis!
In preparation for the "Where Bloggers Create" linky party later this week, I've been busy cleaning, organizing, and "fluffing" my craft room!
It will be my first time participating in this party, I finally got up the courage to do so! I'll be sharing my space with you in a few days, but for now I thought I'd show you a couple of fun ways that I've been getting things spruced up!
 I've seen several versions of tin cans turned organizers here in blog land, so I thought I would have fun and put a little French twist on a few of my own!  A sweet friend of mine gave me a huge roll of the most gorgeous Parisian themed wrapping paper, and I thought it would be perfect for this project.
 They were so fun and easy to do, who would have thought that a humble tin can could look this good?
I simply used double sided tape to adhere the paper to the washed and dried cans. Then I used some pretty cream colored cotton lace that I had on hand, and hot glued it to the tops.
 I thought these pretty cream and pink little paper roses that I had were the perfect addition as well!
Easy, peasy!
 My next project used the same paper, and a large round cardboard box that I bought at Hobby Lobby.  It was my first time covering a "hat box", and I must say that it was a learning experience!  While it is no where near perfect, now I know what to do, and what not to do next time!
I decided to use Mod Podge to adhere the paper to the box, and I really wasn't happy with all of the resulting wrinkles!  But, once I place this on top of the hutch in my craft room, you won't be able to see all of those pesky wrinkles!
 So, for my next box I will try just using the double stick tape, I think that will not only be alot easier and faster, but hopefully I won't get any wrinkles!
After the Mod Podge dried, I brushed a coat over the entire surface of the box and lid, and let dry.
 I then looked thru my stash of trims, and added this pretty cream braiding to the lid and bottom, with hot glue.  A bit tedious, but maybe next time it will get easier!
 Overall, I am happy with my box.  Now I have a pretty place to stash my crafting supplies!
 Ok, now I'm off to do some more sprucing up of my room!
The party starts here over at My Desert Cottage, on Friday!  Be sure to check it out, for all kinds of inspiring ideas!

12 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Your cans and covered box look great and so Frenchy! What a wonderful friend to give you that wrapping paper. If I could find a roll, I'd buy it myself. The possibilities for it are endless.
I was cleaning in my craft room today, but not fluffing like you. I literally couldn't walk in the door! I'm afraid I won't make the party this year. I've been trying to participate for two years now. There's always next year.

Tete said...

Looks good and I love that paper. I hate modge podge for sticking things on. I use an elmers glue stick first and then modge podge over the whole thing after its done.
I am glad you are going to this. I have never done it, but might when I get my own room to do it in...LOL.
Keep an eye on my blog- I found the most fun birdbath that I know you are going to have to try!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You know I am swooning over that paper!! Love how great it makes the cans and hat box look! I am getting all inspired and excited about Paris again! Moving has interrupted my trip plans a little, but back to the count down!!!

Linda

Bente said...

Love the boxes. They turned out so pretty.

Have a great week

Hugs

Susie said...

Donna, I am going to have to make some of those fancy cans with my g.daughter...when we do crafts again. What a cute idea.xoxo,Susie

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

You know i love that paper! turned out great. Can't wait to see the craft room!

NanaDiana said...

I can't wait to see what it all looks like, Donna. I know it will be beautiful-and glittery!!!! Too tired tonight to even think. Love ya- xo Diana

Musings from Kim K. said...

Can't wait to see more. I know it will be shabby romantic Parisian glittery goodness!

Okio B Designs said...

Love them all! And I love the wrapping paper. I have it myself but I've only used it on a dress form which I decoupaged with it. Would love to copycat your cans. =)

Jeanine

Grammy Goodwill said...

Thank you so much for emailing me that the paper came from Hobby Lobby. I was able to get there today and get my very own roll of this. You are the best!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, I love how your projects turned out with the gorgeous French paper. I use this to wrap gifts and love it. I got mine from Hobby Lobby. Your organization is wonderful. I love to be organized too and why not make it pretty.

Looking forward to the WBC on Friday. I know your space is going to be gorgeous.

See you soon.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Debbie said...

Ooolala.....That paper is perfect for your craft room, Donna, because it fits YOU! Can't wait to see the entire project when you are finished.
Have fun working on your room.
xo