Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Monday, October 5, 2015

Painting, Stenciling and Glittering!

Bonjour Mes Amis!
To me a perfect day involves just what you see in the title of this post! Add in plenty of cold Diet Coke, a decoupage project, and a glass of Pinot Grigio (or two!) at night, and I am a happy camper!
So with that, I thought I'd share with you a few of my recent projects.
 I just love finding trays to transform, and have made over quite a few in the past few years.
So when I found this one recently, I was super excited!
Well, not so excited at the "before", below!
While I am sure that whoever painted the fruit on it thought it was a masterpiece, I couldn't wait to get home and begin the makeover!
I am quite particular with the trays that I purchase to redo.  Often I will find them made of very flippy, flimsy balsa wood.  I don't even bother with those!  What I do look for are those that are sturdy, have a nice weight to them, and are very well constructed.  If they have neat handles on such as this tray, it is even more of a score!
 So, I ended up painting it a creamy taupe chalk paint, then added one of my favorite French patisserie stencils, from DecoArt.  I must say I am happy with her new look!
I've put this puppy in my Etsy shop if you care to take a peek!
 In these photos, you will notice my little collection 
(three or more of anything constitutes a collection, right?)
of vintage demi John's.  I just love them and have them on display in our kitchen.  I've found them at yard sales, though not nearly as often as I would like!  The one on the left is my recent score, at only $2!!
 Moving on, I wanted to share with you a custom order that I just completed, for an Etsy customer who was decorating her baby girl's nursery.
To me, it is such a thrill to play a little part in someone's lives like that.
Or when I know that my work is being used at someone's wedding or shower.
Anyway, she was looking for open back ornate frames (and you know how I love ornate anything!!).
I lucked out and found these vintage beauties, which were all actually "gaudy gold" when I discovered them at an antique mall.
 I've painted them vibrant aqua, and the largest one white, some of the colors she is using in her nursery.
 Love!
 She also commissioned one of my stenciled crates in the same color.
I love painting and stenciling crates for my shop!

 And another favorite was this sweet large oval framed "S", for her daughter's first name.
Look closely, and you will see that the letter is covered in fine silver glitter 
(you can never have too much glitter!).
Fine creamy lace and silk flowers add a feminine touch.
 I had so much fun creating it!


 Ok, one last thing to share.
This is the "before" of a sweet little petite chest, which I am currently working on for 
DecoArt.  I've got great plans for her, which involves, you guessed it, paint, stenciling, and decoupaging.
 It's not vintage, but I did find her at the same antique/consignment shop that I purchased the frames at.
I'll be sure to share her reveal to you in a future post!
Au revior!

15 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Glitter Girl , LOL..as soon as I read your title, I thought oh boy glitter. :):) I love the tray so much better. The crate is wonderful. I am anxious to see the chest done. I know you will work your magic on it. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love your tray and sweet girl's projects, Donna! And I'm looking forward to seeing the chest re-do!

Trisha said...

That is going to be one cute nursery! And I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for that little desk!

~Trisha

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Great work Donna. The frames look really good and what a pretty room that little girls is going to have.
Your trays are beautiful - love the color and French saying on it.
Looking forward to see what you do to that little table.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Mary

NanaDiana said...

The GLITTER GODDESS has struck again! LOVE it, Donna. Love your frames and the sweet little S for the nursery. That desk is going to be a real piece of art when it is done. I even like it in black-the shape is fantastic. Can't wait to see that all gussied up.
Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the tray and the special order items are so so sweet! I have a tray that is in my 'to do' pile!
hugs,
Linda

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, WOW love your gorgeous treasures. The tray is fabulous and I love that stencil. One of my favs.
Love the darling glittered framed S. Just gorgeous special orders with the frames.
That little chest will be amazing when complete and you work your magic!
Happy Creating. Hugs,cm

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Donna,
Loved the title to this post! Your choice of color's on the tray and the stenciling look gorgeous. Donna you can magically transform anything. Love the straw covered Demi John's and the shape of the desk/chest holds great transformation promise.
xo.
Vera

Rose L said...

Love the color of the picture frames and that mirror behind the black desk/cabinet is gorgeous!!!!!

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Maravillosos trabajos!!!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

That little desk is adorable. How fun to create things for your clients babies room. Loving the picture frames. I have to tell you everytime I go to Goodwill and see all the old wood stuff from the 70's and 80's I think of you, "what would Donna do with that?"

Musings from Kim K. said...

That's going to be such a darling nursery with all your sweet touches, Donna. It would be neat if she would share a picture of it all assembled. Can't wait to see what you do with that desk. Glitter on!

Cynthia said...

Hello my friend. Sorry I've been MIA. I LOVE everything in this post. I must say that tray is gorgeous and what a super transformation. I also love the frame with the glitter S.

Cindy

Bente said...

The tray looks so beautiful, Donna. Love it.
Hugs from here

Okio B Designs said...

You've been super busy! Love all of your makeovers. That blue color is just divine.

Jeanine