Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Best Ever Baked Potato Soup Recipe

Hello ladies!
It's a cold and nippy day here at the Chateau, and what a better thing to do than make some home made soup for lunch! 

Once cold weather hits, I like to make a different soup at least once a week.  I never buy canned soup!  For one, I don't care for it, and it's just so easy to make it yourself (not to mention a whole lot healthier!).  Today I made one of my very favorites, Baked Potato Soup.  It is very hearty, and oh so tasty!  I have made so many variations of this soup.  Today I added some Black Forrest ham that we had, as well as some shredded white cheddar cheese.  It was delicious, if I do say so myself!  In the past, I've also added a can of tiny shrimp for a chowder type soup (you can replace the chicken stock with a can of seafood stock).  I am sure that it would be equally good with a bit of broccoli, or even left over diced chicken as well.  the possibilities are endless!

          The Best Baked Potato Soup
  • 2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked (I like to bake them ahead of time.  They are much easier to dice when they have been refrigerated.)
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
  • Cooked and crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions (optional)

Directions

MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil. Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Carnation Evaporated Milk

Here is a tip from me on baking your potatoes:
After scrubbing and drying your potatoes, prick with a fork a few times, then coat entire potato in a bit of olive oil, then sprinkle with Kosher salt.  Bake are usual, about 1 hour at 350 degrees. It is amazing what a difference this method makes! You will never want to make plain ol' baked potatoes again!  
 
Enjoy, and keep warm!!


11 comments:

Suz said...

What a wonderful recipe! I am now heading towards the kitchen to give it a try. Happy New Year!

Musings from Kim K. said...

This looks yummy. I can't wait to try out this soup with the family. Did you get some snow last night? We got a new dusting of snow and more is on the way this week. Bring on winter!

NanaDiana said...

Donna- That looks wonderful! I'll bet the evaporated milk makes it really rich! I love potato soup and I think those old recipes off cans & wrappings were the best ever. My grandmother always baked her potatoes at 365º because she said they were good 365 days of the year. I do my own the same way;>)

Pop by my blog TOMORROW-Just saying you won't wanna miss it! Hugs-Diana

ps- cute picture of you on the sidebar with the blue hat!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

OMG Donna this sound "SO YUMMY"!!! I am definitely making it!!!
Happy New Year to You and Yours,
Giant Holiday Hugs,
Donna

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Hello Donna,
This recipe looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the tips, too.
Stay warm!
- Susan

Rebecca said...

Looks goods-wish I had some right now!

ArtfullyJune said...

Looks good, I haven't made homemade potato soup for a long time. I must confess that I'm a mix or can type of girl when it comes to soup. I might just have to try this recipe.

Victoria said...

Oh that looks and sounds soooo good! I'm like you, I avoid canned soup. I have some 15 bean soup with leftover ham in it cooking in my crockpot right now:)

Happy New Year and thank you for sharing your recipe!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh Donna,
That looks delicious!!! And such a pretty table setting too!!! I see you've got your "cooking" groove on in the new year!!! The soup looks super yummy!!!
XO

Kathy said...

Ummmm, looks so yummy!

Chris Arlington said...

OOH sounds yummy can hardly wait to try it!
Happy New Year! Hugs, Chris xo