Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Monday, September 7, 2015

Petite Pink Pumpkin Topiary

Hi everyone, Happy Labor Day!
It's hard to believe we are already going into the second week of September, isn't it?
While the calendar may say that fall is just around the corner, it is still very hot and humid in our neck of the woods.
Today I wanted to share with you my latest creation, which I just completed for DecoArt.
They had requested a Halloween themed project, and it was totally up to me what to create.
I just love projects like that, where the sky (and my imagination) is the limit!
So, after a bit of thought, I came up with a  pink pumpkin topiary with a shabby chic twist!
 It all started with faux orange pumpkins from Hobby Lobby. 

Since I am not into the traditional fall colors (no orange here!), I just couldn't resist painting them pink!
It's a bit hard to tell in the photos, but the largest pumpkin is a bit darker shade of pink, and the middle and top pumpkins are lighter shades.
After painting, I then decoupaged the pumpkins with these pretty floral designs, which I found on Pinterest.
I cut them all out by hand, which was a bit tedious.
 I felt that the pumpkins needed a bit more, so I decided to add some fun polka dots in a creamy white.
A pencil eraser, dipped in DecoArt craft paint, makes perfect polka dots!
Once dry, I coated the entire surface of each pumpkin with DecoArt's decoupage medium, then liberally dusted them with clear iridescent glitter.
('cause a girl just needs a little bling every now and then!)
Here is a close up, below.  I stacked them in this cute little metal urn, also from Hobby Lobby.
It has the sweetest scalloped rim.
It started out a dark gray, which didn't really go with the look I was after, so of course I just had to paint it creamy white!
Before nestling the pumpkins inside the urn, I added a bit of Spanish moss, and a few snippets of shredded and curled vintage sheet music, just for fun. 
For my little photo shoot, I created this cute "boo" sign, which I made on
PicMonkey, and stuck in a pretty thrift store frame that I painted.
 Boo!
 So there you have it....................
 My pink, glittery, petite pumpkin topiary!
 Hope this inspires you to create something just for fun!

15 comments:

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Donna now that is just so cute and girly and you had me at glitter! How cute is that white frame with Boo. Tis the approach of my favorite season of Fall, can't wait to see all the creative magic you dream up.
xoxo,
Vera

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, what a wonderful creation. Love the flowers with the polka dots and the glitter so chic. You are so talented and with your free to create what you want, it turned out fabulous. Love the darling Boo sign too. DecorArt is going to flip when they see this design. I do the pencil eraser dots too. Thanks for sharing and always the inspiration.
Happy creating. Hugs, cm

NanaDiana said...

That is really, really cute, Donna! I love the decoupaged florals on the pumpkins. They look hand painted, don't they? What a sweet little Fall display...and glitter---what a surprise!!!! xo Diana

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
This is such a cute shabby pumpkin topiary. I love it!
Don't show it to Hobby Lobby or they will copy it and start selling it at a big price!LOL~ I see so many things that bloggers create ending up in the big box stores.
Anyway, I love the flowers and all the pinkness.

hugs
Sissie

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are my kind of pumpkins! Pink, pretty and gilttery! So cute!
hugs,
Linda

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

That is just adorable!! What a great idea, and I like the BOO too!

Rose L said...

So cute! I would love to have a little one with turquoise color and pink flowers! I have far too much to do already tho and a set back with Bells palsy which was thought to be a stroke at first. UGH!

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Que bonitas y originales!!!!

Debbie said...

Oh Donna, this made me smile....what a "cute as ever" project you've come up with for Fall. Who says pumpkins have to be orange?
The little "boo" sign is just too sweet!
You are so creative in a shabby chic state of mind.
The signature glitter makes it so you!
Love you.
Debbie
xo

Trisha said...

Cutest pink pumpkins ever! Now I want a topiary just like this! Hope you had a great Labor Day!

~Trisha

john said...

Aw they look great Donna and I love decoupage !!
Gail x

Okio B Designs said...

Now those are my kind of pumpkins! So stinking cute!

Jeanine

handmade by amalia said...

Super fun. I like an original twist on an old favorite.
Amalia
xo

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Well, how cute is that!!! Who says autumn can't have shades of pink?

Gaby Bee said...

Beautiful creations!