Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Red Raspberry Cordial Recipe

Hi there ladies, it's a beautiful morning here at the Shabby Chateau!  We are getting one last taste of summer here in Michigan, with temps in the 70's!  The leaves are showing more color, and it's just beautiful!  I need to get out and do some clean up today of my flower beds while the weather is still nice, but first, the important stuff:  blogging!

Yesterday while I was working, hubby went and picked 2 quarts of red raspberries.  Yum!  I would've much rather pick berries than work any day!!  So this morning, I used one of the quarts to make a cordial, and I wanted to share the recipe with you.  It is super easy to make, and makes great Christmas gifts!  (yes, I am already beginning to think of the holidays!).
Anyhow, this is all you need!  (Actually you will need only 1 of the quarts of berries.)

2 cups sugar
2 cups vodka
4 cups fresh red raspberries 
Note that I have also made this with blackberries, and with fresh cranberries, too.
You will need a large glass container with a tight fitting lid.  Here you will see my extra large vintage blue glass canning jar.  Don't you love it?!  I picked it up at a garage sale a few years ago, for just a few dollars I think.  I would love to find some more this size.  I already have quite a few of the quart sized blue jars, but for some reason I never seem to find the really big ones.



All you need to do is place the sugar in the jar, then the vodka and either stir or put the lid on and shake it up.
Then you just add your berries.  4 cups equals about 1 quart of berries.
I am loving the red berries in the blue glass!  Then you just either gently stir, or put the lid on tightly and gently shake a bit.
Oh, a little secret for getting your ingredients in the jar, rather than all over your counter: I used this little funnel "thingy" from my canning supplies.
Store in a cool place, and then shake gently every day for 2 weeks.  After a few days, you will see that the sugar, which settles on the bottom, has now started to dissolve.
After 2 weeks, strain the mixture thru a fine sieve, pressing the berries with a wooden spoon to extract all of the liquid.  Then you just pour into jars, that's it, easy peasy!  The cordial can be kept indefinitely in a cool place.

I like to save cute little bottle like these.
The cordial looks so pretty once bottled.  I like to decorate the bottles by making cute tags, and adding bows, and a bit of Christmas greenery when I give these as gifts.
Now, I don't want to give the impression that I am a "lush"!  I am not really into hard liquor (ok, except for pina coladas while on vacation, and strawberry margarita's when we eat Mexican!). Anyway, I do like to serve this at the holidays in little tiny glasses, served ice cold!
One more things, when I made the cordial with cranberries (you first need to roughly chop them by pulsing in the food processor), I saved the berries and used them in cranberry walnut bread, and it was delicious!  (you know how I hate wasting anything!).  I was afraid that the cranberries might make the bread taste too "boozy", but they didn't!  I supposed you could save the raspberries, too and make a sauce for ice cream or pound cake.

Let me know what you think if you try the recipe!  Oh, if you don't have one large jar to make it in, you can always use two smaller ones.  I'll be sure to show you photos of the cordial once I have it all bottled and "prettied up"!
I have linked up with Henrietta's House for a fun Happy Hour Party!

22 comments:

Karen said...

This sounds great! Love anything with raspberries.

Several years ago, we made this with cherries and enjoyed it. The woman who gave me the recipe told me the person who gave HER the recipe named it "Cherry Bomb"!

Biljana said...

I love raspberries, thanks for sharing:)
Hugs, Biljana

Burlap Luxe said...

I toooo! love raspberries, I cannot wait to try out this one! I bet they ferment beautifully!!

Thank you for sharing thios one, also great for the holidays :)
xx
Dore

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I'm not much of a drinker, either, but this really sounds good, Donna~ Do you drink it just like it is, or can you use it in a mixed drink?

Rebecca said...

This make me think of Anne of Green Gables-if you haven't seen that part-it's funny-looks good for the holiday season!

Terry said...

Sounds wonderful to me! Cheers! Thank you so much for the blog visit and kind words! Oh, I love the picture of your daugher! She is beautiful!

Debbie said...

I'm saving this post to make this for gifts!! Thank you for sharing Donna. Great idea to add tags and ribbons to the little bottles.
Happy Sunday!
Debbie@houseatthelake
Great jar.

Leo said...

Thank you for sharing. Seems easy to make and a very good reason to buy a couple of those aqua mason jars! I don't drink liquor (And like you - an occassional margarita on vacation)...but since you mentioned it is not so strong - I will try it out! Hope you are having a glorious and wonderful Sunday!!!

Ellen said...

Maybe next year I will try this! It sounds so yummy...why do I keep thinking of Anne of Green Gables however....

Blooming Rose Musings said...

This sounds delightful...and easy to make. I am definitely going to give this a try. I don't drink liquor(except in an occassional pina colata or margarita)but this sounds like it might be fun. And I love your idea of giving it as gifts. Thanks so much for sharing this fun post.

stefanie said...

you are right, those berries in that aqua jar are just beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds delicious and the berries look so gorgeous in the jar!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Love it! What a great gift idea. I'm sharing this with a friend who was looking for Christmas present ideas for co-workers. This sounds perfect! ~Sheilla

Karen McAlpine said...

Sounds really good. Love all the photos of the U.P. It is so beautiful, isn't it? We had a cottage up in the Tahquamenon falls area. We sold the cottage, but still have 20 acres. Love your idea of added glitter to the modge podge on the Halloween buckets. I will have to try that!

Donna said...

YUM! Sound decadent!! Will try on a festive occasion!

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, this looks incredible!!! I gotta make some for Christmas gifts!!
XO

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This looks sooo great!!!
(Ditto what someone else said about Anne of Green Gables)

So happy to have found your blog through the Happy Hour party

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Jenny at Henrietta's House said...

I love raspberries! Especially when they are in a cocktail!! And the Ball jar - what a great idea!!

Thanks so much for linking up! I'll be hosting Happy Hour every Wednesday!!

Jenny

Jenny's mom from Henrietta's House said...

Donna,
Vodka and raspberries! What could be better! I'm Jenny's mom from Henrietta's House. Thanks for joining her Happy Hour.
I love the blue Ball jars, I was lucky to have a few but gave them to Jenny.
My husband works for a corn processing plant that makes grain alcohol spirits and that sells to all of the major alcohol and gin houses. I'd like to recommend our favorite.....Smirnoff.
Cheers to a successful Happy Hour,
Cindy

Alycia Nichols said...

Great ideas for repurposing the fruit! The cordials sound really good, so I'll have to get started now to have them ready for my Halloween party. Yikes...better get movin'! Thanks for the recipe!

Stacey said...

Ummmm.....yummmmm!! I have to try this! I have some vodka that needs drinking! :)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This sounds wonderful, and you've made it look so easy. How pretty to serve during the holiday season.