Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Paper Rose Tutorial

Hope you all are having a wonderful day! I've been working with vintage French book pages, decoupage, and glitter, which makes it a great day here at the Chateau!

I've been seeing some really pretty flowers here in blog land, made from everything from paper to fabric to coffee filters.  I had never attempted making them until my friend Cindy inspired me to make them.  Now I just can't stop creating them, it appears that I have a new addiction!  So I thought I'd share with you how I make them.  If you stopped by yesterday, I showed you the flower that I made to embellish the collage that I made for my Etsy shop.
So, let's get started!
You won't need to many products for this fun project.  In fact, if you are like me, you already have everything on hand!  You will need Mod Podge, a foam craft brush, clear glitter, a glue stick, self adhesive dots (or a glue gun), paper, and buttons.

 Since you know that I'm crazy about all things French, I used an old French book to make my roses.  Of course, you could also use pretty scrapbook paper, or vintage sheet music, or a combination of all of them!  This is the kind of project where there is no right or wrong way of doing things!

You will need to trace circles in three graduated sizes.  You can use a glass, mug, or whatever.  I just used lids that I had in my craft room.



Tear out your circles (I tear several sheets of paper all stacked up at once to save time).  I think a torn edge for this project looks so much prettier than a cut edge.  You will need 3 large, 3 medium, and 3 small circles for each rose. I almost forgot to mention that for projects like this, I always put down a large piece of waxed paper on my work surface.  Not only will this keep your surface clean, but you can save any excess glitter and pour it back into the container (you know how I hate wasting anything!).

Now, this is the part that almost had me cringing!  You see, I am a neatness counts, always color inside the lines kinda girl!  At any rate, you will need to crumble up each circle into a little ball.  Ok, I think I can do this!!

Gently uncrumble them, still leaving them very wrinkly.
Lightly brush each circle with some mod podge, then sprinkle with a bit of the clear glitter.  The hardest part is having enough patience to let them dry before proceeding any further!

Once they are finally dry, just use your glue stick (just a dab in the center of each circle will do) to adhere the 3 large circles, followed by the 3 medium, then the three small.  For the centers, I added buttons with the glue dots.  Or you could just use a hot glue gun for this step if you wanted to.
It's really hard to see the glitter in these shots, but it's there!
You could make your roses any size you wish, or course, or add as many layers as you want.  They sky is the limit with this project!  My flowers are about 3" across.
I thought they looked neat with these pretty green leaves. 

For this little petite rose, I added a mother of pearl button and a rhinestone.  Oooh, la, la!!




That's it, super fun, super easy, and way too addictive!  Hope you try making them, I think you'll love it just like me!!
I am linking up to the following great parties:
Faded Charm White Wednesday

25 comments:

Donna said...

They are just darling!!! Love the rose and will try the idea soon...thanks for sharing!!!

Karen said...

These are great flowers! The glitter and buttons really enhance the look! Great job!

Love, Karen

Leo said...

Geez - they look so easy to make. I think I could swing that. Very creative.

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi said...

your roses are just so lovely, I have never tried before....alright, one more thing on my to-do list! My daughter will be excited to work with glitter.

Unknown said...

...maybe we should get together ~ or at least our tutorials LOL!!
Your paper roses and my paper pumpkin!
Happy White Wednesday!!
xo, Rosemary

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

JUST ADORABLE!!! Thank you for sharing your tut with us!!!

Rebecca said...

These look simple and fun -a great gift!

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

So cute! HW!

Raspberries and Rose Petals said...

Simply beautiful! LOVE 'em!!! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm off to make paper roses!!! :)

Happy White Wednesday!
Lori

NanaDiana said...

Donna~ Imagine that! YOU using glitter! BWahahahaha!

Those are just darling! Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to earmark this so I can show it to my granddaughters. They will love doing this project and it won't matter if they are a bit rough around the edges for them. I came across the ones made out of coffee filters the other day too. By any chance, do you remember who posted that tutorial on them? I was going to earmark that and forgot~sheez! I know she had a different way of cutting them than I expected.

I have to tell you though, the crumpling part is going to be just gut wrenching for me. I'll let SweetCheeks do that part..she is a great little rumpler-ever notice her clothes? lol

Guess where we were today? Manistique-uh-huh..Did you get to Fayette? I'm sure you probably did..if not you really missed a great place. The campground is a bit rougher there-no showers or flush toilets in the camping area. But the village is wonderful!

Okay-the "native" is getting restless here- Have a great night- Diana

{oc cottage} said...

ADORABLE!


m ^..^

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore those roses! They are definitely on my to do list now! Thank you so much for the tutorial! One question....where did you find your French books? I've been looking and coming up empty handed.

Jill Marcott-McCall ~Feathers & Flight~ said...

These are Adorable Donna! Oh my there is so Much you could do with them! Thank you to Cindy and You for Sharing the Technique!
Thank you for your Support and Words of Encouragement. It is Greatly Appreciated! I am Looking Forward to seeing You in Romantic Homes!!!!
Have a Wonderful Evening!
Hugs
Jill

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Thanks Donna for Sharing, I have seen so many Beautiful Flowers, but haven't tried My hand at them yet..... Your Tutorial was Wonderful
Stop by if you get a chance & Have a Great Week
Cheryl

All Things Pretty... said...

WARNING: rosette-making is ADDICTIVE... you will be constantly looking to make rosettes out of ANY and ALL materials that cross your path! Wonderful post! :) mercedes

Unknown said...

Very cute, will have to keep a lookout for a french novel, not sure I could cut up something that I could read!LOL

Tete said...

Cool! I will be giving this a try- probably minus the glitter. I have a phobia to it. LOL
Hugs- Tete

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Fabulous... simple easier and really effective.. love it...
I think i'd love the crumpling bit.. hehe.. have a great week xxx Julie

very merry vintage style said...

Great tutorial.. can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

Love the paper flowers! Thanks for the tutorial, Donna!
~ Jo :)

Faded Charm said...

These are very sweet and look pretty easy to make. I'm wanting to get back into my craft room and create. Just waiting for the time to allow itself.

Enjoy your week.

Kathleen

Sandi said...

Trying the second time to post...grrrr

Love your flowers and will be trying my hand at making them soon. Thank you for sharing!
Blessings~

kimmykats said...

Wonderful job of crumpling that paper up!!! these turned out beautiful. I need to do some of these for some projects.

Debbie said...

Saweet!! I know what we'll be doing on our next craft night here at the lakehouse! Can't wait to show the gals!
Thank you Donna.
Debbie@houseatthelake

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

How pretty...thank you for the tutorial!!