Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Wine Tasting Fun in Northern Michigan

Hi everyone, how is your summer going so far?
For many of us Michiganders (that's what we here in Michigan are referred to as!), summer just wouldn't be complete without a trip to beautiful Northern Michigan!
Last week hubby and I traveled there in our new (to us) motor home. A bit more about our motor home later, we are very excited about it!

I'm sure many of you would be surprised to know that Michigan produces wine.  Not just any wine, but award winning wine!  And we have some amazing wineries that would rival those of more popular wine producing regions, such as California or Washington State!
So nearly each summer we venture north of the Traverse City area, where there are two gorgeous peninsulas, both of which are home to dozens of these amazing wineries!
For this trip, we stayed on the Old Mission Peninsula, which has stunning views of Lake Michigan and the lush surrounding rolling hills.
This first winery, below, just opened up.  It was built to look as if it were in the middle of the Italian country side instead of here in the Midwest!  It was pretty impressive.
Another winery that we like to visit, Chateau Chantal, has this wonderful patio area where you can take your tastings.  
I think this is one of the most beautiful areas of our state!
And here is our home away from home! We'd looked far and wide for a motor home that had all of the features we were looking for.  In fact, we traveled all the way down to North Carolina to buy it!
Notice Miss Molly in the window?
All of these photos were taken with my cell phone and haven't been retouched.  I know the below picture is pretty blurry, but I just couldn't resist sharing it with you!
The motor home has a small window on the side, down at floor level.  It acts as a little peep hole of sorts for Molly!


Up next is Bonobo Winery, which I was very excited to visit for the first time. They opened up less than two years ago, and is owned by Carter Oosterhouse of HGTV, along with his brother.
Carter is a native of Traverse City, and designed the building himself.
While it may look a bit utilitarian on the outside, just wait til you see the inside!
That's me, below.  If you look closely, you'll see Molly on the dash in the front window!
That's super hunky rather handsome Carter on the right, and his brother on the left.
source

We visited on a Monday, when it wasn't crowded in the least.
I just loved these large fabric covered panels that were suspended from the ceiling.  I'm sure they act as great noise baffles.
The design of winery was so well thought out. There are several rooms here and there which are also used as tastings and private tastings. They have the look and feel of being at someones private home.
Ok, I am sure I was the only one to photograph the women's room!
Sorry for the poor picture quality (again, this was taken with my cell phone).  I 
just thought the wire shelf holding the rolls of tp was such an amazing idea, loved it, and the cool light over the sink too.

Mario Batali, a long time fan of  Northern Michigan (he has a summer home in the area) designed the tasting menu of Bonobo. Sadly, we didn't see Carter or Mario on this trip!  I sure would've loved to meet them though!
If you ever get the chance to visit this beautiful area of our state, I would highly recommend it!
Ok, now we are back home, below!
And no, you are not seeing things!  The front two tires really are off the ground!
Our driveway has a bit of a slope, and when the stabilizing jacks are down, the front end comes up!
 Our home, and our home away from home!

Thanks so much for stopping by!
I've gotten so behind in my blog visits, but I promise to stop in as soon as I can!
Have a great rest of the week!

10 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, what an amazing trip in your beautiful motor home. The winery looks like the perfect place to visit in northern Michigan. Too bad the celebs weren't there at the time. The setting does looks like a place in Europe.
Loved seeing Molly in the little window. It's perfect for her.
Beautiful pic of your two homes. Thanks for sharing your vacation. Happy Summer.
xo

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I miss camping, from the days when I was little and we went out in our truck camper. Looked like a nice relaxing trip. We have so many wineries pop up all over the place here in Illinois, but haven't really made a trip of it to visit them. Molly looks so cute in the mirror!

cloches and lavender said...

Hi Donna, Molly is too cut. I spotted her in every shot right away. She's adorable. I love the motor home and the shots of the winery.

Sorry I haven't been around but I am finally back!

Cindy

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Hi Donna,
Your new motor home looks amazing, good luck and happy motoring. Oh that sweet Molly, a pampered puppy on the road ... How cute! I love her little private window! I have tried Michigan wines at a tasting and I was impressed. Have fun, safe journeys and give Molly a little hug from me.
xoxo,
Vera

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

WOW great new motor home. Now Molly can see everything that's going on.

The wineries look amazing and I know the wine must be great.

Thanks for taking us along with you on this wonderful wine road trip. Didn't realize that Michigan had some great wine. Will have to look for some in the store.

How does Molly like traveling? She sure is a cutie.

Hugs dear friend,
Mary

Debbie said...

I agree, Donna...the Traverse City area has some of the best wineries in Michigan! Aren't we fortunate to live so close? I love driving over there for a day!
Your motor home is just the best! Love the little window for Molly. It looks as if it was made just for her...lol.
So glad you all had such a nice get away!
Love to you.
Debbie
xo

Tete said...

What an amazing trip! Loved all the photos and the information you provided! You know your stuff. So how much wine did you bring home????
Miss Molly has the dream life, with her own little window. Love the new motor home- inside photos!
How have you been? I seem to just chase my tail anymore. We are seeing some headway here. Its stuff that should have been done months ago, but its another strange year for us.

handmade by amalia said...

I'm late with my blog reading, having just come back from vacation. It is nice to hear all your news, this trip sounds like great fun.
Amalia
xo

Tete said...

Donna! Where are you? I am missing you! Been way too long.

Jan Hermann said...

It's been a while since you posted...will you be back soon? Is everything OK? Happy Holidays!!