Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Vintage Picnic Basket Makeover

Hi everyone. How is your week going so far?
Today I wanted to share with you my latest creation, a vintage picnic basket makeover.  As a member of the design team at DecoArt, I was assigned a project using their chalky finish paint. The end result was totally up to me; I love those kinds of open ended projects!  So, the question was, "what to make?".
Well, I'll show you my inspiration in a sec, first I want to show you the end result,
a drab to fab makeover
 Ok, are you ready for the "before"?  I was super excited to spot this vintage wicker picnic basket at my favorite consignment shop.  I couldn't scoop it up fast enough!

 Below is what inspired me, straight out of the June issue of Romantic Homes Magazine.
I fell in love with this gorgeous pale green picnic basket.  You can't see from this view, but the wood top was painted with pretty roses.  Since I'm not talented enough to hand paint flowers, I had a bit of a brainstorm, and thought that decoupage would work perfectly for my wooden lid.
 I went over to Pinterest and found some gorgeous vintage floral wallpaper that I totally fell in love with.
I printed out several copies, then cut out each grouping of flowers by hand. That actually took even more time than painting the entire basket!
 Ok, I am getting way too ahead of myself!
First off, I began by painting the basket with DecoArt's chalky finish paint in a gorgeous aqua color called "Escape".
 Then, I dry brushed a bit of their creamy white chalky finish paint, called "lace" (one of my favorite shades of antique white).  The dry brushing creates not only interest and depth, but helps to give it more of an aged look.
 Then I lightly distressed it here and there with fine grit sandpaper.
 I was worried that the paint wouldn't want to adhere to the metal handles, but didn't have any troubles.

 As you can see by the amount of pictures I took, I was having fun with my little photo shoot!
This spot is in our back yard, and since it's mostly shady, my hostas really thrive here.  Come summer, I'll have tons of black eyed Susan's blooming in this bed.  I actually was ripping a bunch out last year, they really were too big!
 Getting back to the lid, I used DecoArt's decoupage medium to adhere the floral designs that I cut out. Several coats were brushed over the top (allowing dry time between coats), then I covered the entire basket with DecoArt's clear satin sealer varnish.
I am so happy with how my basket turned out!  It was a really fun project, the colors and floral motif make me happy.  And I can think of so many great uses for this basket.  Filled with craft supplies, toiletries, or even extra towels in the bathroom.  Oh yes, and even used as a picnic basket!
Thanks so much for stopping in today, hope this has inspired you to create your very own
"trash to treaure" piece!
Disclaimer:  I have been compensated by DecoArt, but the ideas and opinions are my own:)

16 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

You know, I never thought of re-doing a basket like this! It is GORGEOUS! I see some painting in my future! Wonderful project, Donna!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love this project! Such a pretty color and the flowers are gorgeous. I can't draw either so decoupage is perfect. Love the aqua color of the basket. Great job.
hugs,
Linda

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, love the picnic basket!! The color is gorgeous and your design turned out beautiful. The rose paper you found is beautiful. What a treasure and so fun to see the before and how awesome you created the design. Love it.
You are so talented and everything you design is perfection!!
Hugs,CM

Rose L said...

I would love to escape on a picnic but am unfortunately laid up with painful sciatica.

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Hi Donna,
You painted and turned it into a darling of a sweet picnic basket. I can just see yummy foods packed with matching color napkins to make the entire presentation a complete fun day. Pretty color choice.
xoxo,
Vera

Cynthia said...

Donna so pretty and where you have it sitting outside makes me want to come over for a picnic

Cindy

Anne's Attic - Design said...

I love your basket the color is amazingly beautiful. Jo

Unknown said...

Donna,
This turned out so beautifully! I just love it. Very creative, and what a difference!
Kisses to Katie.

Susie said...

Donna, That is fabulous. Makes me wish I had one for every room to put things in. Would be nice to hold yarn for knitters. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Musings from Kim K. said...

It's just gorgeous. Reminds me of something that Cath Kidston would sell for lots of money. Your creative talents never cease to amaze!

john said...

fabulous Donna ...I wouldn't have guessed the flowers were decoupaged !! great colour too. I love your last post about your mom ...so very nice !
Gail x

Tete said...

I just love it! You did an awesome job and its so pretty. Wonder what your neighbors think when you do a 2 hour photo shoot with a picnic basket??? Mine just scratch their heads and go on here. LOL Hope you keep having fun making things pretty.

Debbie said...

Wow! I really love this latest project, Donna! The colors are just gorgeous! You did a fine job picking all the right flower decals, and colors for the basket.
So pretty!
Debbie
xo

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love the picnic basket and you really did an outstanding on on it.
Your back yard looks so good with all your hosta's.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Mary

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Donna, your talent knows no bounds! Yours looks even better than the RH photo!

NanaDiana said...

OMNGOSH!!! How in the world did I MISS THIS? That is absolutely gorgeous! I have one languishing in my basement that I have been trying to figure out what to do with it. Now I KNOW what I am gong to do with it. I LOVE what you did!!!! I am going to SO COPY you! lol xo Diana