Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Want to Visit a Castle in the Clouds?

It's a cold and windy day here at the chateau, the perfect kind of day to cozy up inside and work on some projects!
On our trip out east, we spent a little time in beautiful New Hampshire, and visited an amazing mansion referred to as the "Castle in the Clouds".
(The first two photos you see here are from their website, all of the rest are mine, except where I have noted.)
"Lucknow Estate" was built in 1914, by Thomas Plant.
Perched high on a mountain with panoramic views, it truly does feel like a castle!
 At 10,000 square feet, the mansion was built in the Arts and Crafts style, using field stone which was found on the property. 
 Doesn't it look like something right out of a fairy tale?
One of the things I really liked about visiting the castle was that it was a self guided tour, and they allowed you to take photos inside.  A trolley takes you up to the estate, where you are first given a bit of history of the home and Thomas Plant.
 Mr. Plant was born of poor French Canadian immigrants, and he only had an 8th grade education.  Despite that, he made his fortune in shoe manufacturing, quickly becoming a young millionaire.
He then married Olive, and the two never had children.


 The day that hubby and I visited the castle was perfect.  Sunny but cool.
I just loved the attention to detail, from all of the stonework to the adorable dormer windows (below), that make me think of quaint old homes in Europe.
The views were amazing!
 From the back of the mansion, you could see for miles!
The grounds also host many weddings.  Can you imagine what a perfect fairy tale setting it would make?
As a matter of fact, on our trolley going up to the estate was a young engaged couple that are getting married there next year.
source
Below is a neat pergola heading out to the back yard.

 Imagine trying to cook on this puppy?  
At one point, they had around 30 servants (for just the two of them!).
 The master bath was one of my favorite rooms in the house!  Built at a time when no one had electricity or plumbing, the castle had it all!
 I snapped this gorgeous view thru the bathroom window.  Love!
 And just check out this shower!!!
 In many of the windows thru out the home were these pretty painted glass pieces.  I thought at first they were stained glass, but they actually are painted.
 Another thing I really loved about our tour was the neat little vignettes that were set up thru out the mansion.

 I was drooling over all of the gorgeous vintage gowns!
 As I'm sure was the custom of the day, Thomas had his own bedroom, and Olive had her own.  He wanted his to face the sunrise, she wanted to be able to view the sunset from her room!
This is her room, below.
 And her pretty sitting area.  I can picture myself taking my coffee here each morning:)
 At the top of the second floor hallway is a huge skylight by Tiffany.
Also is a large portrait of Mr. Plant. 
Ok, now we are back on the first floor!  
I had a hard time taking photos there, as the rooms were on the dark side, and there was alot of glare coming from the windows.
 In keeping with the Arts and Crafts style, there was alot of woodwork and attention to detail.
 A funny part of the mansion was this "secret room", that Thomas had designed just for himself!
Push a panel, and viola!  A private space that only he could retreat to.
Sadly, due to bad investments, the Plants lost all of their fortune, and the estate ended up going into foreclosure.  It was sold several times over the years, once to a very wealthy man from Boston, who bought it as a surprise anniversary gift for his socialite wife.  She took one step inside the mansion, and decided that she hated it!  And refused to have anything to do with it!  Can you imagine?
Thankfully, it eventually was purchased by a preservation society, and opened to the public for touring.
The society has done an amazing job restoring the mansion to its former glory.

If you ever are near Moultonborough, NH, I would highly recommend you visit the estate!
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that they have converted the carriage house and stables into a great restaurant.  Hubby and I had lunch there, and it was delish!  Our table was right inside one of the former horse stalls:)
source
Thanks for joining me on my little tour!  Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

Susie said...

Donna, I loved this post. So beautiful. The views are wonderful. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Debby said...

What a beautiful place. Great views from those windows.

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Donna, this is so beautiful. I love the carriage house do-over! Everything is so pretty there.
Karen

NanaDiana said...

That is on my "must see" list. I have heard of it but never visited it. I remembered the story about the wife who would not enter it and hated it on sight. Crazy woman.

What a fun trip you had Donna! Love these posts of yours- xo Diana

Trisha said...

Oh, how neat! I have always dreamed of having a house that had a secret room like that. The restaurant looks amazing too. Thanks for the tour!

~Trisha

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I wish I had known of this castle when I traveled so much. I spent a lot of time in NH and have never heard of it. I would love going through it - it's stunning. Love all the wood work and the detail. Thank so much for sharing it with us.
Wish we had the weather your having. I hate this 102 weather. Can hardly go out of the house Have to do my chores very early or it is miserable. i can only pray for cooler weather and RAIN.
Have a great weekend and thank you for sharing that beautiful castle with us.
Hugs
Mary

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

What a beautiful place, with views to match. Love that bathroom too, looks like what people are trying to capture today in their homes. I just love craftman style.

Debbie said...

The poor man that wanted to surprise his wife with such a gracious purchase!! tsk, tsk.
Ann is right. That bathroom IS what people are striving to recapture in their homes today. It's wonderful!!
I love how you share your tours with us, Donna. I would never be able to see all of the neat places that you visit otherwise.
Thank you, sweet lady.
Debbie
xo

Renee said...

Oh my gosh! This was so fun to tour! I have to go there sometime! The restaurant looks awesome! The mansion is incredible. The bathroom was pretty (except that shower kind of gave me the creeps...looks like something in an asylum). Loved that Tiffany skylight!

Musings from Kim K. said...

What an incredible home. I love all the amazing details. Just breath-taking. You really do have the best adventures, Donna.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Came here for the first time. Wow can't imagine a woman not loving that place, like Diana said..."crazy woman" Pictures are beautiful.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a beautiful home, Donna...thanks for sharing the photos with us! And the view is wonderful, too!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, what a beautiful mansion. I would love to visit this place. Every detail is perfect. The restaurant looks awesome set up using the horse stalks for the table areas. I know you had an amazing time.
The views are spectacular.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip.
I am so enjoying your posts.

Hugs

john said...

wow Donna what a fabulous place !!! enjoy your hols....Gail x

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Oh wow, 30 servants for 2 people and a socialite who hated this place - how amusing! I can't imagine anyone hating this place, and it's too bad the Plants lost it in a foreclosure. Thank you for sharing it with us - makes me want to take a drive up there someday. :)