Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

French Roses Decoupaged and Stenciled Box

Bonjour Mes Amis!
Today I wanted to share with you my latest favorite project that I just created, this Frenchy vintage wooden box!
I sure wish I had taken the time to snap a before photo.  I found the box earlier this summer when we were vacationing in northern Michigan.  It was brown, and had an old print decoupaged to the lid.  While at one time it may have been pretty, it was in dire need of a makeover!
While I wasn't immediately sure how I would transform her, I knew that I wanted to do some stenciling and decoupaging as well.
 I began by hand painting the box creamy white, inside and out.
As I was working on it, inspiration struck!
I had a really neat stencil from DecoArt of vintage looking French script, that I was just dying to use. And you know how much I love all things French!
So I used a light tan chalk paint, also by DecoArt, to stencil the script to the lid.
Then to the front, back and sides of the box, I stenciled  gorgeous fleur de lis and swirl motifs, also in the same tan 
I knew that I wanted to decoupage roses to the lid, so off to the Graphics Fairy I went.
 I knew as soon as I spotted this gorgeous vintage pink rose print, that it was just what I was looking for!
So I cut out the roses by hand (a bit tedious!), then decoupaged them to the lid.
 Aren't they stunning?

 I knew that I wanted to decoupage something to the inside of the box, so again I popped over to the Graphics Fairy and looked around til I found this beautiful ornate vintage label.
 I thought the pink, cream and gold tones were perfect!
I then added a Parisian street address to the label for fun
Our very favorite hotel we stay at in Paris is on Rue Ecoles.
 Here is the back side of the box.  I painted right over the metal hinges, then distressed them for a time worn look.
 I must say I love the way the box turned out!
While I would dearly love to keep her, I created her to add to my Etsy shop.
So that just means that I'll be on the hunt again for more boxes to transform, and next time I will be sure to create one for myself!
 Hope that I've inspired you a bit!
Au revoir!

18 comments:

Alicia de los Santos said...

I love it sooooo much.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh how very lovely your little box it. I just love the rose on it. It really turned out so well.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.
Mary

Celestina Marie said...

Good Morning Donna,
LOVE your darling vintage box. Such a pretty way to keep treasures and so french chic.
Love the rose design you used over the stencil design.
I love to find these little boxes too and try to grab them up whenever I see them out junkin.
You sure gave yours a new life.
Happy Creating!!
xo

Okio B Designs said...

So beautiful! I'll bet someone snatches that up right away!

Jeanine

The Bear's Blog said...

As our sweet Prudence would say "bee-u-tee-ful, Miss Donna".

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love that you put your hotel address in it, that way you will never forget. Turned out great!

peggy gatto said...

Very nicely done
Pretty!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So pretty! So French! Love it!
hugs,
Linda

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Es preciosa!!!

Little Miss Maggie said...

That is gorgeous. I love the rose you used.

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love all the new life you give your treasures. Beautiful, as always!

john said...

wow Donna, you have made a wonderful job...the roses are divine !
Gail x

Bente said...

Oh, the box is gorgeous. Love it.

Hugs from here

Debbie said...

Wow! that box turned out so beautiful, Donna! Cutting out those roses was worth all the work!
Great job!
Debbie
xoxo

Ordinary J said...

It's a beautiful box. And yes, I would like to see the before photo:)

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I guess I missed this while I wasn't blogging, Donna. That is just a gorgeous piece. You get better and better all the time with your projects!

A perfect piece-and romantic, too. xo Diana

Momentos Vintage said...

Ummmm es preciosa¡¡¡¡
Un beso

Karen said...

Donna......this is a gorgeous piece! If it were mine, I probably couldn't part with it!
Karen