Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Easter Shadow Box Project

Hi everyone, how is your week going?
Ok, so I do realize that Easter is still more than a month away.
But, for those of us who love to create, well, we often tend to jump ahead of the calendar, right?
I do have a valid excuse, though, as this is my latest project for DecoArt!  
DecoArt was requesting Easter themed projects, so I couldn't resist the chance to make something fun and spring like!
Sometimes inspiration comes just from walking thru the isles the craft store.  Other times it's searching for neat ideas on Pinterest.  And yet others just seem to pop into my head!
So with that, I'll share with you my Easter shadow box project.
 I found this neat wood shadow box with a pretty laser cut frame at Michael's.  I knew right away that it would be the basis for my project!
 Then I had another brainstorm!  I picked up these little wood banner cut outs, also at Michael's
I began by painting the frame and outside of the box in the prettiest light green, called "Pistachio".
One easy way to get more mileage out of your paints 
(and keeps you running to the store to buy yet another color!) is to mix several colors together to create a multitude of shades!  So for a little contrast, I mixed some of the green with a bit of white "Snowball" to make a slightly lighter shade of green, and used it to paint the inner edges of the box.
 I also painted the little wood pennants in both shades of green, as well as a pretty "Baby Pink".
Again, for another shade of pink, I mixed it with a little white to create a paler pink for some of the other pennants.

 I love adding little polka dots to my projects.  So I decided to add them to the edges of each pennants, just for fun.  It was easy peasy!  Just dip the end of a small paint brush, or even the eraser end of a pencil into your paint to create the dots (I used white).
 To each pennant I added adhesive alphabet stickers to spell out "Happy Easter".
You can't tell from my photos, but the letters have just a bit of sparkle 
(because you know just how much I love glitter!)
 I then added the pennants to two lengths of jute twine.
To the inside of my shadow box, I decoupaged a piece of vintage sheet music
(I guess you could say sheet music is one of my signature looks!)
 Then the real fun began!  Assembling my box!
I found this darling little Easter bunny at Hobby Lobby.  Isn't he just the cutest?  He is foil wrapped, giving him the appearance of chocolate (but don't try to eat him, he's decorative only!!)
I also added this sweet spray of pastel colored eggs.
 And the cutest little nest with eggs, also from Hobby Lobby.
 I had so much fun with this project!

 It makes me want to create more for different holidays and seasons!
 I hot glued all of my embellishments in place.  But, if you just placed them inside the box, you could swap them out with the seasons, using the same box again and again for different looks.
Hope that inspires you to create something fun!

9 comments:

Susie said...

Donna, I love that shadow box and the idea of using it for other holidays is a good one. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Trisha said...

Adorable! That banner is probably my favorite part even though the whole thing is wonderful!

~Trisha

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love your shadow box, it is really very pretty and I love the Spring Colors.
I was digging around in the garage and I got rid of all my little Easter houses that I painted. Gave them to a friend, I didn't want to part with them, but haven't used them in years so someone else might as well enjoy them. Got some ideas as to what I want to accomplish for Easter. So as soon as Valentine's Day is over will start working on Easter. It take me so darn long to finish projects.

Hope you are enjoying the Florida weather. You should have come out to Sunny CA - our weather is terrific.
Hugs, to Katie. Found out that Waldo has liver problems so I am cooking special for him and he loves everything that I make. Hopefully this will reverse the damage. You have to be careful of the dry dog food. He loves his raw carrots.

Have a great rest of the week and love your shadow box.
I'm off to Ash Wednesday Services.
Hugs,
Mary

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Donna you a little sparkle, a little glitter - really? LOL. I think your shadow box is adorable and all the gorgeous shades of Spring. Love the foil wrapped rabbit amd all your embellishments. I enjoyed seeing a touch of Spring since its in the 20's here.
xoxo,
Vera

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Que bonitooooo!!!!! me encanta!!!! es precioso, besos

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, WOW this is so beautiful. I love it and you outdid yourself my friend. Such a pretty Easter treasure and I love the colors you used. So fresh and springtime inspiring.
Love it and I know DecoArt is going to love it too. If this goes to your shop it will fly off the shelf!
Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Can't wait to see what you do next!! Hugs

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Time is flying and yes, Easter is early this year! Love your little shadow box! You are always so creative.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love the colors you used. So cute and wow Easter will be here before we know it.
hugs,
Linda

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love all things mini and this is such a delightful Easter project. Hopping into Easter crafting and this is fabulous!