Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Vintage Tea Cup Collection

Hi everyone, hope your week has been a good one so far.
It's been a long time since I've shared with you my vintage tea cup collection, so I'm sure that many of you haven't seen it before.
Since I've been having major blogger block for the past week (does that happen to you?)
I thought I'd share it again!
And, I've been busy working on spring cleaning projects around the house, and finally got around to the tea cups last week.  So now that everything is all sparkly, I can show you the collection!
It's been gloomy here for the past few days at the chateau, but I did manage to snap these pics this morning, just had to lighten them up a bit:)
Anyway, we have a large expanse of wall in our dining area, which really needs something that makes a statement.
Plus we need to have something to detract from that God awful ugly large a/c vent which you see above the tea cups!
 The tea cups actually belonged to hubby's mother.  He designed and built her the cabinet, backing it with a mirror to not only reflect the pretty tea cups, but reflect light as well.
When she passed away, he inherited the collection.
Hubby gave her many of the tea cups, which he picked up on various travels (this was before I came on the scene!).
Here is an overall view of our dining area.  It is one large room, which includes our living room.
I think the collection is perfect for the space.
Since there isn't a glass front to the cabinet, it is a real dust catcher.
Cleaning it means taking each and every cup and saucer down and washing and drying them by hand.
And dusting and polishing the cabinet and mirror backing, of course!
But, I think it's well worth the work!

 I like to place my very favorite tea cups on the lower shelves.  There are 36 in all. That is alot!
Here are a few that I especially love.
Isn't this one below pretty?  I love the pedestal that it sits on, and it just feels oh so French to me in design!
 Lily of the Valley is the flower of May, my birth month, so I especially love this beauty, below.
 I think this lusterware cup and saucer below is just lovely!  Isn't the cutwork on the saucer pretty?
 And since wild violets have always been my absolute favorite flower, this cup and saucer below is also one of my very favorites!
 I adore blue flowers, and think this forget me not cup and saucer is so sweet!

 I think hubby did a great job designing and building the cabinet all those years ago.
 Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

13 comments:

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

WOW Donna that's an impressive collection of pretty and very interesting artistic tea cups and saucers. I will confess I only own two cool teacups with saucers and to be honest we stole them/but left an enormous tip for them in Paris from a hotel that was featured in the movie "the French Kiss". Well what can I say ... We did!
I really love the beauty displayed in the cabinet and it just seems perfect to be back with your husband and you. I love your dining room and have really enjoyed this post. In Philly it is again raining... But hey "April showers bring May flowers"!
xoxo,
Vera

Trisha said...

What an amazing collection! And that cabinet is so perfect...it is exactly what I need although I don't have near that many tea cups. I would love to see pictures of all of them. Tell your hubby he did an excellent job!

~Trisha

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a lovely collection and the cabinet is really perfect!

Susie said...

Donna, That is a beautiful collection of teacups/saucers. Your husband did a fine job on the cabinet...maybe you could sweet talk him into making a glass front for it. It's nice that he helped create the collection too, by getting some of it for his mother. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a gorgeous collection. How special that your husband helped create and design the special collection and cupboard. I have the same lily of the valley set.

NanaDiana said...

OMGosh, Donna. I forgot you had those. That is really a beautiful collection and your hubby did a great job on the display cabinet.

How nice that you have this and I bet she really enjoyed those cups over the years she collected them.

Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

Ordinary J said...

What a beautiful collection of tea cups. I can't have a display shelve like yours in my home because I live in earthquake zone....

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna,
What an incredible collection of teacups. Each one is gorgeous. Your hubby did an amazing job building this wonderful cabinet and I love that he added the mirror to the background. This is such an impressive piece in your dining room and a special keepsake with the cups.
I love the pedestal style too.
I had not seen your mil's collection before. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, CM

Cynthia said...

What a gorgeous collection and piece your hubby built. I thought I had a great collection but nothing like yours. The first is my favorite. Mine are from both my grandmother's

Cindy

BeachGypsy said...

Donna that is beautiful!! Love it! Im born in May too...so like that lily one! Our birthdays will be here soon!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh what a beautiful collection of tea cups and saucers. Your honey did a beautiful job on the cabinet that they are in. Love the mirror behind so that makes them sparkle.
Thanks so much for posting this.
Have a great weekend.
Mary

Unknown said...

I just love your collection of cups and the beautiful way you have displayed them! That is a gorgeous cabinet!
Laura and pooches

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is an amazing collection of teacups and the cabinet is beautiful too. I've never seen anything quite like it. Thank you for showing us. xoox