Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

From "Udderly" Ugly to Fab and French!

You know how much I love to do what I refer to as "drab to fab" makeovers, right?
Well just check out my latest transformation, which I think qualifies for the drabbest, tackiest "before" ever!
Hello, the 1980's are calling, they want their "udderly" ugly tray back!!
This past week I came across this beauty in the thrift shop.  I was drawn to the neat shape, as well as the fact that it was solid wood and sturdy and substantial.
Of course I had to look beyond the cutsey country painting of the cow and  milk maid!
When I was standing in line to pay, the woman behind me said how cute it was.  
I'm sure she was secretly thinking 
"This poor woman needs help!"
I quickly told her that I was giving it a makeover, that I really didn't have awful taste!
I knew right away that I wanted to give the tray a French twist, so here is what I came up with..........
 Viola! Much better, don't you think??!
I began by sanding down all of the painted design.  I didn't want to take any chances that anything (udders included!) would show thru after I'd painted the piece!  Then I used some of my Deco Art chalky finish paint in a pretty cream color.  After multiple coats, the tray was feeling happier already!
 I then chose a French Patisserie stencil, also from Deco Art.

 I used acrylic paint in black for the stencil, and I'm so happy with how it turned out!
 I distressed it a bit here and there, then followed up with a clear sealer.
 I'll be putting this puppy in my Etsy shop.
So remember, if you come across anything on your treasure hunts that is beyond "udderly" awful, don't be too quick to pass it up! With a little imagination and tlc, you can take it from
drab to fab!!


10 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a transformation! You really are so good at it! Love the tray!
hugs,
Linda

Junkchiccottage said...

Donna this is an all time great transformation. So much better. All though I was thinking the before would have made for a great white elephant gift LOL!
The new tray is gorgeous. Great Re Love.
Kris

Little Miss Maggie said...

Ooh la la. It's fabulous now and very "tray" chic.

Musings from Kim K. said...

You did another fabulous rescue! This was one of your best makeovers YET!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Oh yes. Much better.

Rose L said...

Much improved!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, WOW what a great tray now after you put your magic touch to it. Love the graphic and the distress of this beauty.
You know I love the background color too.
Happy Creating!!
Hugs

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a before and after! You really transformed the piece!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

From udderly ugly to utterly divine!!! Great makeover! I hope the lady standing in line behind you sees this post.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh I love it!