Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Monday, October 21, 2013

Decoupaged Mini Pumpkins

Bonjour Mes Amis!
Hope you all had a great weekend.
So many of you have been busy decorating for fall and Halloween, but I've been feeling oh so far behind in that department!  I had purchased a set of faux pumpkins at least a month ago for the project that I am about to share with you, and just never had made the time to do anything with them.  Well, I finally got around to it and finished them today, and had alot of fun in the process!

 I've created a little vignette on our dining table with my pumpkins, that I'll tell you about in a sec.  But first, I knew that I wanted to use my large vintage silver tray, found a few years ago at a thrift shop.  Like so many of you, I also love cloches and pedestals, and wanted to incorporate that into my look. 
 So here is what I did.  I began with cheap-o faux pumpkins from the Dollar Tree. They looked so sad and, well, tacky that I had my doubts that I could turn them into something pretty!  Thankfully I was able give them a new lease on life, by decoupaging them with pages torn from a vintage dictionary and adding some pretty embellishments.  I know that some may have trouble tearing books apart, but that is what I bought the dictionary for.  Our local library has used book sales each month, which is where I picked up this dictionary, and for only a buck! 
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I first spray painted the pumpkins cream, as I didn't want any of their former bright orange and gold tones to show thru the dictionary pages.
 I've perched one on a wonderfully tarnished vintage silver pedestal that my parents received years ago as a silver anniversary gift.  A cute little glass cloche tops it off.
 Here is a better look minus the cloche.  The most fun part of creating the pumpkins was the embellishing!  For all but the tinest pumpkin, I replaced their ugly plastic stems with small bits of driftwood that I collected on our trip to Lake Superior.  I also added wonderfully crinkly creamy seam binding, tied in generous bows.

 Isn't this petite pumpkin just the cutest?  I thought it really didn't need any embellishing, so I left it as is.  I've nestled it inside of a vintage tarnished little creamer, another thrift store find.
Also to the tray I've added a few bits of green moss, some tiny pinecones, and a pretty silk flower that I spray painted to tone down its former bright color.
 I had fun thumbing thru the dictionary for a few appropriate words.  I was super excited to find this graphic of a pumpkin.
It may be hard to tell from the photos, but I also dusted each pumpkin with some clear coarse glitter ('cause you know how much I love my glitter!).  I just dusted it on while the final coat of Mod Podge was still wet.

 I also added silk leaves that I painted cream, and coated in glitter.  They were green and orange, but that just wasn't the look I was going for!
To the pumpkin above, I added a pretty vintage rhinestone pin that was in my crafting supply stash.  It was missing a few rhinestones, so I just took a few little ones from the craft store, and glued them on with tacky glue.

 The two other pumpkins were embellished with vintage Mother of pearl buttons and faux pearl and rhinestone brads.  Love!
 Here's one last look.
I had so much fun with this project, and lots of fun creating this little vignette!
Hope that maybe it inspires you as well!
Joining Becky for Blissful Whites Wednesday.
Debra for Be Inspired Friday.
Be sure to visit for lots of beautiful inspirations!

15 comments:

Little Miss Maggie said...

Those are very cute. I love them under the cloche. So clever to look up the appropriate words to decoupage with.

Diana Seal said...

Beautifully done! Love the sparkly silk leaves, vintage pins and buttons!
Very chic indeed!!!
Have a great week!
Diana

Blondie's Journal said...

These are darling...I love that you found the little pumpkin in the dictionary, so cute!

XO,
Jane

Musings from Kim K. said...

Your jeweled pumpkins are gorgeous. Love the graphics mixed with text. Of course, glitter makes everything perfect! A fun vignette. It's perfectly YOU!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very cute, Donna. Love that touch of bling.

NanaDiana said...

HA! I KNEW you would be glittering something before the Fall season was over. You are, after all, The Glitter Queen.

Those turned out really cute, Donna. I love that you have a silver piece that belonged to your Mom. Your vignette looks great! xo Diana

The Polka Dot Closet said...

They are all gorgeous! I think you have inspired me to pick up some of those dollar tree tacky pumpkins and try my hand at them, because even though you think you are behind...I'm behind you!

Carol

The Bear's Blog said...

Beautiful. You have that special touch, turning anything not so lovely into something beautiful.

Hugs

Okio B Designs said...

They look beautiful Donna! Definitely looking more expensive with your touches of bling. =) Love them all!

Jeanine

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, WOW are these little pumpkins under the cloche darling. Love how you embellished them with the vintage ribbon and gems.
You are so creative and talented.
Love the vignette you made with the tray. Perfect centerpiece.

Have a creative day.
Hugs!!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

They look absolutly beautiful. TFS.
BWW.
XO Marie

Tete said...

Love them! I haven't gotten mine yet. Too busy to get to them anyway. Oh, well. Hoping I get to the patch tomorrow.

Debbie said...

This is the sweetest pumpkin vignette ever, Donna! LOVE the glitter! You are so creative.
xo

john said...

What beautiful pumpkins Donna ! with a special sprinkling of bling they look just lovely ! have lovely autumn weekend !
Gail x

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

So cute! Much better than boring ORANGE!