Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Monday, August 12, 2013

Vintage Sewing Box Makeover

Bonjour Mes Amis!
Hope you all had a great weekend!
A while ago my mom gave me her old sewing box, circa early 1970's, that she no longer used.  I knew right away that I could totally transform it into a pretty accessory for my craft room, with a little paint and tlc!
Here is the after:

 And here is the before!  "Lovely" avocado green (ugh, I told you it was from the 70's!), which made it look even more plasticy than it already was!
 I could hardly wait to cover all of that icky green with my favorite creamy white spray paint!
Mom's sewing box holds alot of special memories for me, as I remember spending hours as a little girl pouring thru her buttons and other sewing notions.  My mom sewed nearly all of my clothes while I was growing up, as well as complete wardrobes for all of my dolls!  So this sewing box, which she filled with thread, snaps, buttons, rick rack, fabric scraps, and much more, got a real workout!
 So now instead of looking like the heavy plastic that it actually is, it truly has the look of carved wood!
I also painted the insert, which used to be harvest gold (I sure don't miss that 70's look!).  I painted it white inside, only because I ran out of the cream spray paint. And I'm a "use what you've got kinda girl"!
The tray lifts out to reveal lots of storage space.
 Even the back side is pretty!  I couldn't believe how the paint brought out all of the wonderful details that were totally hidden in that icky green!
 Just the right amount of distressing gives it time worn appeal.
 It will come in so handy in my craft room to store my supplies. And I'll take it along with me when we go camping, as I always like to bring along a few crafting projects.  So I think it will be perfect for that!
 I also wanted to share with you a fun surprise that I received in the mail today, from a sweet blogging friend.  She sent me a huge roll of the most amazing decorative paper!  It's a nice heavy paper that has vintage hand written letters copied all over it!  I love it!  It will be so fun to use in future projects!
 I can hardly wait to use it!  I am so blessed to have met so many wonderful and thoughtful kindred spirits here in blogland!  Bloggers are the best, aren't they?
Have a fun and creative week!
Sharing with Debra for Be Inspired Friday.  Be sure to visit for lots of great ideas!

8 comments:

Trisha said...

What a cute little box! Gotta love the amazing difference some white paint and distressing makes! And that paper is wonderful...can't wait to see what you do with it! Have a great week.

~Trisha

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

It looks amazing, nothing like the green box. What a great job you did on the sewing box.
I have to agree with you on bloggers, they are truly lovely people.
Have a great week with Katie.
Mary

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

It always amazes me what you do with paint, Donna! Looks great! Love the wonderful gift you received, too!

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a perfect carrying case to take your crafting supplies when crafting. You always find the best things to makeover.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I remember those sewing boxes. What a nice makeover.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a great way to save Mom's sewing box and oh my, that paper is wonderful!!

Carol

NanaDiana said...

Donna- I HAD that sewing box back in the 70's but the one I had was wood toned. LOL It looks SO much better painted white. I love it! Nice job- xo Diana

Shabby Marilyn said...

Love the new improved sewing box brought back for more fun sewing!