Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Monday, January 11, 2016

Projects

Bonjour Mes Amis!
How is your week going so far?
Wow, it sure is hard to believe we are already into the second week of January, isn't it?!
Today I thought I'd share with you a few projects that I recently completed.
All are in my Etsy shop, if you care to take a look!
My sister has been busy cleaning out her attic, and found this cabinet door that she thought I could do something with.  Of course, I forgot to take before shots of everything I'm showing you today, darn!
Anyway, it wasn't vintage or anything, otherwise I would probably have kept its original paint and patina.
It was boring golden oak, and so ready for a fresh look and new lease on life!
Immediately I thought of creating a coat hook out of it.
So, I painted it in my favorite shade of light blue chalk paint.
 I then stenciled this gorgeous large skeleton key to the front.  (I wish it would show up better in the photos!)
I used several different colors for my stencil, to give it a dimensional look.
 One of the best things about this project was I had everything for it, except the hooks!
I found those at the hardware store and had my handy hubby mount them for me.
It was a fun project, and I am happy with the end result!
(so, my sister can pass along more "junk" from her attic to me any day!!)
 Next up is this large vintage wooden cigar box that I found while out thrifting.
I see plenty of cigar boxes on my hunts, but I've never come across one this large before!
It was very well made, and had a neat brass latch and hinges, so I just knew that I could do something with it!
 So, I painted it inside and out with a pretty creamy taupe chalk paint.  I left the inside lid unpainted, to show off the original cigar ad (wow, only 5 cents each, this box must be old!!).
I also knew that I wanted to decoupage something to the lid. After some thought I decided on these beautiful roses, compliments of The Graphics Fairy.
If you ever decoupage, you know how tedious it can be to cut out details by hand, but the results are worth it, I think!

 Just for fun, I added the address of a Parisian flower market to the sides.

 I just love finding boxes that I can transform with paint and a little tlc.
The one below was also a thrifted find.  It was a dark reddish brown when I found it, and I could hardly wait to paint it the same pretty light blue as my coat hook project.
The neat thing about this box is that it also holds a photo.  I placed a scrap of pretty floral paper beneath the glass insert for the time being. The lid has a metal insert, and features a beautiful floral cut out design.  
 Of course, I distress nearly all of my projects, to give them what I like to call
"that aged over time look".


I almost forgot to show you my knife, fork and spoon trays.
A few weeks ago, hubby came home with a set of three vintage wood trays.
I just love it when he comes home with goodies for me from the thrift store!
(he knows just what to look for!)
Anyway, they were a dark wood finish, and on their backsides was imprinted
"Toastmaster Hospitality Tray".
They were made right here in Michigan (Grand Haven), back in the 1950's.
 While I don't always know right away just how I will make something over,
if I look at the object long enough, inspiration will eventually strike!
So, since there were three trays, I thought it would be fun to decoupage them with these gorgeous copies of a giant knife, fork and spoon.  All were found on The Graphics Fairy.
First I painted the trays in the same creamy taupe that I used for the cigar box.

I had so much fun with this project!
 It's amazing how realistic and dimensional the silverware looks!



And I couldn't resist sharing a pic of Katie, perched on the wicker bench at the foot off our bed.
I had to laugh, as it looks like she's yawning from boredom over all my craft projects:)

Have a great week, can'w wait to see what you all have been up to!

12 comments:

Trisha said...

I think my favorite project is the little blue box, but let's be honest-I love all of your projects!

~Trisha

Susie said...

Donna, Your Katie is so cute. :) I really liked all the things you made over. I could see silverware placed in the trays for an easy dinner. Has your sister seen the cute door re-do? I would think she 'd want it back. LOL. Blessings, stay warm. xoxo,Susie

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Donna,
Love the photo of your fur princess! I see the new year ushered in a quest for additional artful creativity by you. All your projects are a WOW! Loving the utensils - very detailed and looks like you can just reach and grab one in your hand.
Happy creating.
Xoxo,
Vera

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Your projects are beautiful = you are so talented. I would have to think a year before I came up with these wonderful ideas. Love the cigar box and the trays.
Yes, Katie looks likes she is so tired of watching you create, maybe she is wanting attention.
I have a long list of projects to accomplish, now if I could just get my mojo in gear it would be great LOL.
Have a great productive week.
Hugs,
Mary

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love your projects, Donna...especially the silverware trays! That must have taken a long time to cut out those roses for the cigar box!

Bente said...

So many beautiful projects, Donna. I love to do this myself.
Have a great week
Hugs

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Donna, Just gorgeous. I love each one of your new treasures. They are going to fly out of the shop. The coat rack is so pretty with the key on that beautiful shade of blue and I really love the large box. Yes, rare to find that size and you created magic with it. Love the trays with the utensils. They look like you can pick them right up off the tray. So dimensional looking. I know how much work it is to cute out all the graphics. But your results are beautiful.
Sweet Katie is precious. Look at that sweet face yawning. Give her a little puppy hug from me.

Love your header too. Your blog looks so pretty.
xo

Okio B Designs said...

Happy new year! Oh those wood trays. Love them!!!!

Jeanine

Tete said...

Happy new year, girlie! Looks like you are spending your time well. Love the projects and the colors...pretty. So is Katie. Love her bed....nice. Its colder than boohockeys here...not a happy camper but doing my usual hiding from the snow as much as I can. Got the curtains pulled on the bottom in the kitchen so I can't see it. Have a fun week glitzing away.

White Lace and Promises said...

Wow, you have been really busy. Yes, I love what you did to the cabinet door. I also like what you did in the other post to the bar stools. I have yet to master the Graphic art desings or rather the image transfers. Oh well, I'll need to read into that more. Beautiful!

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Unos trabajos realmente bonitos!!!!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Wow! I love your transformations! I think I have that key stencil...I love the look of it on your cabinet door. The box of the same color is beautiful too....what a pretty color paint. I think the cigar box is stunning and the silverware trays are so creative. You have been busy and very creative!